Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF brake problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Sep 21, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I finally got the 14 bolt all bolted up and the last step was bleeding the damn brakes. I left the bleeders open and filled the resevoir and let it gravity bleed for a while. The passenger side started to weep fluid within a few minutes so I closed that bleeder and waited for the other side. It never weeped.../forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    I then got my trusty helper out of the house to help me bleed the brakes. The passenger side squirted nothing but fluid the first try. The driver's side just barely trickled some fluid out even after repeatedly bleeding them. I figure I must have good pressure to the distribution block cuz the passenger side was normal...I'm thinking distribution block is somehow plugged or the hard line itself on the drivers side. What do you think?

Rene

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ooh thats a good one. Sounds like crud somewhere. Maybe even in the piston. Have you disconnected the line at the caliper/piston yet? Are you putting on disc's now?

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Did you pull the bleeder all the way out and see if it is plugged?

4. tRustyK5

Not doing rear disc's yet...the brakes on this axle are supposed to be brandy new, and I don't see anything that would make me doubt that.

Ron I was just thinking it might be a bad bleeder when I read your reply...I'll check. I have a couple of spare bleeders so if it's at all plugged I'll swap in another one.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

Plugged bleeder...all better now!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

rene

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, still a good time for disk brakes...
    grant /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. tRustyK5

I just need the brackets...all the rest is currently being used on my D44 front/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Those 13 x 3.5" brakes sure do a fine job of stopping the truck though!

Rene

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ahh, but you can never stop to fast... it is nice when you can brake as fast as the ricer behind you with its annoying blue crystal lights that are aimed in your mirrors. it amazes them when you hit the brakes and stop faster than them...
    grant

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

braking power between set up drums and discs should not differ much,
    reduced moving parts to maintain, debris resistance, fade resistance etc are the benifits

10. tRustyK5

So you think the D44 rotors and calipers will provide the same or similar braking as the 13 x 3.5" drum brakes? I fully plan on doing this swap soon...I'm just curious.

Kinda weird getting used to the Detroit after having a welded diff for so long...it sure turns better now/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Low-Low with the 4.56's is pretty cool too...3000 RPM for 5 mph./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is a hard call, I am too lazy to look up the math.
    most rear drums do not stay working properly for long.
    in your application the discs are the correct choice.
    if they were acceptable in the front for you, where (lets pull a number from our XXX) 80% of your braking is done, they will be great out back.
    to get numbers to compare we would need to know some mass figures

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I did my rear disc swap it made a huge difference. My brakes were excellent before but now they are awesome. I can stop on a dime and get eleven cents change now. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Another huge advantage is disc brakes work well in both forward and reverse. Ever back out of your driveway and forget to release the Ebrake on drum type? It goes back with a little extra gas, but when you drop it in drive... it don't go. This is important if you have to back down a loose, wet or muddy hill. The front discs lock up but the rears still turn. If you mash hard enough to lock all 4 you end up with no control of direction. Now in 4 wheel the mechanics help control all 4. If you have driveline failure like those "you gotta see this' video of that poor slob in the blazer who broke a drive shaft ended up rolling, his fronts were locked but the rears were turning. He had no steering and ended up rolling. I figured this to be one of the biggest advantages to the rear disc setup for offroaders.

14. tRustyK5

Weight is split very near 50/50 when I scaled the truck. Total weight was 5700 with D44. I figure to be near 6000...roughly 3000 lbs over the front and the same over the rear.

Disc's are coming...for now the drums work better than what I'm used to. (don't ask...)

Rene

15. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

man I whish I could say mine stoppped better...

I just did the disk install and my brakes don't feel right. The peddle feedback I get says my booster isn't working. I had to remove the rear line from the praportioning valve to get rear brakes at all...

but the rear end aint blown up no more

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

RedBrute: That is because the parking/emergency brake only engages one shoe (that is why when the parking/emergency brake is applied you get more braking force forward than reverse). Also remember when converting to disc, you still have the parking brake to contend with, and most states require one in good working order (all mechanical, no hydraulic).

Rene: Glad you got that figured out, sometimes the best solution is the easist one (except in may case when it's never easy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif, with my luck the bleeder would have snapped off during removal /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ).

17. tRustyK5

Well par for the course for me would have been the wheel cylinder...don't know why I got so lucky this time???/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I'm gonna check out caliper prices for the Caddy calipers here. If they're too spendy I'll prolly go with a Mico-lock even though they're technically not legal.

Rene