Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF & Dana 60 pricing PLEASE.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, May 29, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I found a guy by me that has a 14B & Dana 60 that he will sell me. He didn't have a price but said he would beat anyones price. They are used of course and I just wanted to know what a fair price would be for each. They are complete from end to end. After I get an idea I will go check them out more thoughly. Besides the usual, anything special I should look for? Any measurements I need to take to make sure they will fit? I'll do some more research on the installation and what it takes to see just what I'm getting myself in for. Sounds like a good winter project unless I shell the 10 bolt this summer.....
    Thanks for all the help ahead of time. Dave

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

2. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

$25 dollars and some crackers, but the person to ask is thatK30guy im sure he will eventually read this, but you might wanna try sending him a pm and since he has such low prices its a really good person to ask

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, a fair price would be anything that is a screaming deal to you. It all depends on how bad you want them. My opinion and experiences say that those combos for $1000.00 or less is a great deal. If you can get them cheaper, then you are getting better at dealing for them. I have bought these axles for as low as $250.00 for the front and rear! [​IMG] The most I ever paid for a matching pair of front and rear was $800.00. In my opinion (again) anything over $1000.00 is a little too high. Since you are trying to work out a deal with the other guy, try starting out lower, say, at $500.00 for the pair. You never know and he may wind up getting rid of them for that price. Good luck! [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

4. Storm Trooper

Wes, you seem to be the all knowing axle man from what I have been reading in your posts and replies. Motors are one thing for me but an axle man I'm not. I have not made up my mind on the 60 or 44 but will be keeping and dumpimng $$$ into my truck. If you can give me a general idea of the difficulty in each, parts etc. sometime when you get a chance I would greatly appreciate it. Send me a PM if you can. Sorry I'm in a hurry typing this cause dinners ready......I be back soon. THANKS.

5. thatK30guy

With the choices between the D60, 44 and 10bolt, the obvious choice is the D60. [​IMG] But that can cost some $$$$$.
    The question of which axle to use really depends on the type of driving and off roading you do. Generally, the less off roading you do, you can get by with the 10bolt or D44.
    You can make a D44 or 10 bolt stronger by beefing them up with such parts as, alloy axle shafts (like from ORD or Warn), a new locker, new lock out hubs, new bearings and races (especially Timken bearings) and beefing up the joints and tie rods like those from Rock Stomper. You can build a strong D44 or 10 bolt for less than a D60.
    Again, it really boils down to your driving habits. If you are a bat-out-of-hell, go-for-broke, gonzo, etc. guy, get the D60. If nothing like this driving style, get the other smaller axles.

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey storm get the 60.If you end up not using it you can sell it.But i would go with it.Nothing like coming up too a bad ass obstacle and wondering if the the 10 or 44 is going too hold up.It gets ride of that little voice.Off subject i was going too try too make it up too empire next week but my th400 won't go into 2,3.So it looks like i'm going too have too rebuild it.When i'm back up and running i'll get a hold of you and see if you want too go somewhere haven't met tomany k5ers yet.

7. thatK30guy

BTW, I sold bigd a D60 back in January! [​IMG]

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't have it any other way.Oh by the way bring some big boys with you too pick it up.Your back will thank you later.

9. thatK30guy

Hahahaha! Yeah, just the 3 of us was not quite "enough"!!! [​IMG]

10. Storm Trooper

OK I'm back,
    No I'm not a wildman on the trails but I am running a new 350HO crate motor and 38.5. I miss my old days Big Blocks and figure that someday I may go to one. The truck is in nice shape (I only added a couple more small scratches yesterday) and I plan to keep it that way. I just hate the idea of being out at Moab or somewhere and not wanting to put the peddal down when I need it for fear of the "pop" that happens when your out in the back country without spare parts or a trailer. I want my truck tough enough to take it but that doesn't mean I'm going to beat it either. Most places around here are for crawling & climbing even thought I kind of like the hall a$$ down the trail stuff. With the 6" lift+ I'm more worried about tipping it over. With the 10 bolts & 38's if I catch some air or stomp it in the rocks, i'm sure I'll snap it.

11. thatK30guy

Since I have never been rock crawling (we dont have rocks around here) I will leave this opinion to others who have done that experience. May I suggest you to email or send a private message to Stephen Watson, owner of ORD, and ask him for the best and personal opinion for your type of use. Good luck! [​IMG]

12. Storm Trooper

Good idea! Stephen was going to set me up this winter with some custom springs and Fox shocks.
    Bigd, so you didn't go? I almost went looking for you. Let's hook up. If you need a good tranny guy down there I know one.
    So Wes, how much fab & welding do I need to do for the 60?

13. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey Wes this is off subject.But do you have any th400 around.preferably one with a 203 output but any would work.Maybe one that wouldn't need a rebuild then i could switch the output shaft from the one i got.I lost 2,3 in my t400.Pulled the pan yesterday about 1/4 inch of black clutch dust on bottom.And some metal slivers.Just wondering.Thanks

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Wes pretty much said it with the price.

Your quote:
    "So Wes, how much fab & welding do I need to do for the 60"

What do you mean?? NO welding or fabbing needs to be done to get the front D60 under. all you'll need are the spring plates (make sure the guy you get the D60 from gets you the spring plates as well. and no, your current 10bolt or D44 spring plates will NOT work. And new ubolts and 8 lug wheels and you're done ;)
    The rear, if you get a 3/4 ton verson 14bolt FF, then you'll be ok, it will bolt right up, with a combo Ujoint and new ubolts and perhaps modify you current spring plates (like I did) or get new ones.
    If you go with the 1ton version, then here is where welding comes into play. It is much tougher. You'll have to move the shock mounts and spring perches...moving them...TOUGH....welding them back in the correct location...not bad....ask me how I know. Good luck :)
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

15. thatK30guy

Bigd, I have one TH400 for the 203 set up, but its probably going to Brians60s for some swapping we are working out. BTW, my 400 needs a rebuild. [​IMG] Sorry. I will keep my eyes open though.

Yep, Boss said it this time!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No welding or modifications at all when swapping the 60 over. A very easy swap, too.
    Another thing to make sure you get when you locate a D60: the calipers. Whether they are good or bad, they are different than the D44 and 10 bolts. The 60 and 10 bolt both share the same size banjo fittings on the brakelines at the calipers. The D44 is a different size though.

16. Storm Trooper

Good, bolting up stuff is no problem. I belive the 14 is a 1 ton.
    How can I tell the diff. I printed the pic. on Diff. from CK5 a while back but don't remember them showing a difference.
    Boss, nice rig, I've been reading about your job for the last 1/2 hr. Looks great. Hope I can get that kind of help if I need it.
    The spring perches should be there because the springs were cut off with a torch. I need to check the gearing on the two also, 4.10 was typical? I'd like to be at about 4.56
    Any part numbers you guy's have got would be great. Let me check them out 1st though. I don't want you to waste your time unless I think it's a sure thing. Is there some things like cross-over that doesn't need to be done right away? I'm going to have enough trouble getting this past the wife. Maybe if I know I want them, I'll go wheel and break the 10B's so it will be easier.....

17. thatK30guy

Yeah, the 1 ton rears are the exact same thing as a 3/4 ton rear, BUT, the perches and shock mounts are different locations.
    The spring perches on the 1 ton need to go outboard more by around an inch or so. Others who have done this relocation can give you a better measurement.
    The shock mounts are on the opposite sides of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton axle. No biggie, just cut them off and reweld them to the opposite sides.
    As for numbers etc., there are stamped no.s on the front/top part of the housing tubes. These are called 'bill of materials' numbers. They identify the axle, year, and assembly plant.