Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF disc brake problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Oct 13, 2004.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I put disc brakes on my 14 bolt and now have a small problem. After driving for a couple of miles they will start to make a noise, it is difficult to describe but while driving fast it sounds similar to the noise a mud tire makes while driving. While going very slow the noise sounds like when the brakes make a "groan" noise if you are stopped and release just enough pressure to roll a bit, and I can tell that it only makes this noise on a small part of the rotor, the noise gets loud then quiet then loud then... I used new brake hoses, rotors, and calipers and they aren't sticking. When I installed the new rotors the lug studs fit loose in the rotor holes but tight in the hub holes, so I know that the rotors aren't centered. The noise to me seems like a warped rotor. Do the rotors usually need turned before installing the hub/rotor on the truck?

2. 409demon

409demon Registered Member

does any one have the measurments on how to make brackets and what year caliper and rotor, does any year 73-83 3/4 ton parts work?

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't have any measurements, I bought my brackets from cybrfire. I used calipers from a 1979 K20 so that they would match the front.

4. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

DIY makes some that are a really good price. I got mine from Sky-Manufacturing because they wer bent the correct way and did not use the stand out spacers. I used the Caliper and rotors off of a 78 K20. Half ton and 3/4 ton Calipers are the same and will bolt right up. I used the Az-Kickin off road supply brake line kit. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The DIY brackets use solid steel discs for the spacers, and in my opinion are superior to the other kits that use pieces of pipe. The bent brackets look nice also.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

A new rotor shouldn't require turning. You may want to pull it back apart and look at your pads. I have had them make a similar noise and the only thing wrong with them is they got diff fluid on them in the installation process. Other than that not sure what to tell you. Stud holes should have fit damn close and snug on the rotor.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'll check it out. It's back in the garage now for a while for other repairs/modifications anyway.

8. 409demon

409demon Registered Member

does any one have the diamiter of the rotors used and inside width where the caliper goes between the braket?

9. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put disc brakes on my 14 bolt and now have a small problem. After driving for a couple of miles they will start to make a noise, it is difficult to describe but while driving fast it sounds similar to the noise a mud tire makes while driving. While going very slow the noise sounds like when the brakes make a "groan" noise if you are stopped and release just enough pressure to roll a bit, and I can tell that it only makes this noise on a small part of the rotor, the noise gets loud then quiet then loud then... I used new brake hoses, rotors, and calipers and they aren't sticking. When I installed the new rotors the lug studs fit loose in the rotor holes but tight in the hub holes, so I know that the rotors aren't centered. The noise to me seems like a warped rotor. Do the rotors usually need turned before installing the hub/rotor on the truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any rust between rotor and the assembly that it compresses against?
    It sounds like (even though they are new) the brake lines may have internally collapsed.
    Maybe a damaged hub causing the rotor to wobble as it turns?
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif