Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF gears (Yes there is 3.23)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nov 28, 2000
    I just pulled the front axle apart (after putting the locker in the rear a few months ago, I decided to put one in the front). I could have sworn I had counted the ring and pinion and came up with 3.2? something gears when I did the rear, but several people said that GM didn't make them for the FF rear. When I did the front, I noticed the end of the pinion facing you when you pull out the carrier had "GM" with a part # (will send that in a later post, I'm at work now and don't have it with me), and "42-13" on it. I counted the ring (42 teeth) and pinion (13 teeth). With the GM part number on it, I assume these were stock. If you go to http://www.drivetrain.com/gm10.5.html but no OEM part number (I am going to check with my buddy at GM to see if he can find anything out), but makes a little more sense on the whole front labeling of 3.42. It figures that I would end up with that poor gearing as well as the slip yoke 205, thanks again to GM in 1980. I will say though that with the 700r4 I put in it keeps me in the proper RPM/Torque range when accelerating from a dead stop, and keeps the RPM's fairly low for crawling. I know there are rigs out there that will crawl at greatly reduced pace than I do (better low gears, craw boxes, etc.), but this set-up with 33" tires still works great for me.
    I posted this more as an FYI, so that if people are looking for axles (especially the 14 bolt FF and corportate 10 bolt), even though the chances are probably few and far between, you do have to worry about getting the oddball gearing
  2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Jun 12, 2000
    I would be interesed in trading you a set of 3.73 gears for yours or possibly buying them if they are for sale.