Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF GovLoc Limited Slips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

My 14 bolt has a Gov Loc in it but isn't making too great of noises and is not very smooth when transferring power between wheels. So before it piles up, which it will I'm sure I want to replace it with another Limited Slip. Can't go full locker due to ice driving, had one in my old camaro, trust me ice and lockers don't mix. What options do I have? I have read a little on rebuilding the eaton and something about a powertrax for the govloc diffs.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Powertrax is still a locker.

If you're heart set on a limited slip Eaton makes a posi for the 14 bolt I do believe.

If it were me I'd detroit it.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

you probably never drove a locker on an icey road either though.

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

You can get a rebuild kit(clutch plates and such) from the dealer. Doesn't look like it would be that hard of a rebuild. If you don't want to rebuild it Power Trax No-slip would be a good option more of a true locker but supose to still slip when full lock is not needed.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

ED-19689-010 GM 10.5, 4.10:1 and Down
    Part Number Standard Package Required
    per Unit
    96535-00S Guide - Left Hand Disc Pack12 pieces6 pieces
    89140-00S Guide - Right Hand Disc Pack12 pieces6 pieces
    29255-00S Preload System Service Kit - 400#1 spring, 2 preload spring thrust sleeves1 set
    096744-100 Flat Head Machine Screw12 pieces3 pieces
    29254-00S Gear Service Kit2 side gears,
    3 pinion gears
    1 gear thrust sleeve1 set
    29252-00S Disc Service Kit - Right Hand (Carbon)9 discs, 6 guides1 set
    29253-00S Disc Service Kit - Left Hand (Carbon)4 discs, 6 guides1 set
    99311-00S Pinion Thrust Washer10 pieces3 pieces
    89179-00S Pinion Yoke11
    29256-00S Shim Kit20 each of 8 sizes2 shims

This is what I've found on Eatons site, should do it if I don't really have any other cheaper options. I would consider a "no-slip" diff like the one offered by powertrax but haven't found anything for a stock gov loc diff.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    you probably never drove a locker on an icey road either though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My daily driver is locked in the rear and has a 108" wheelbase. I like it much better than an open diff, I feel that you have much more control.

8. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif when I call central4wd.com the guy I talked with said that power-trax made a no-slip for the 14bff gov-lock. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I will have to do some more checking cause that is what I was going to order when I had saved up the money. If you rebuild yours post up how hard it was and if you notice improvement. May rebuild or weld mine if can't find a no-slip.

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Thats funny, I found that a locker with winter tires would only slide sideways off the line. So much so that I was actually stuck at an intersection waiting for the cars by the side of me to go through before I could go because I took up 2 lanes. Now correct me if I'm wrong but yours is a shortbox with swampers, that would do nothing but slide sideways on ice, I've never been to Il but you must not get very much ice, or your roads are salted & sanded heavily.

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The roads do ice occasionaly here, but nothing like where you live. If it does ice, usually there are enough patches of pavement to get traction on. The ice never lasts more than a day, the state sprays de-icer and salt on the roads pretty heavily.

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

you guys are lucky then, where I just moved from (4 hrs from here) they didn't plow the roads for most of the winter so it would build up then turn to ice and you can't get rid of it till spring. Didn't help that they were scared to salt the roads. Hope this new place gets rid of ice quicker.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just an fyi, a Govlock is a true locker. A Powertrax no spin acts just like a Detroit. With the conditions you have to drive in I would just stick with the Govlock. Look around in junkyards because they are easy to find for 14ff's and it should be a lot cheaper then a rebuild.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sorry, i have to disagree with that last statement, i have a Gov-Loc in the rear of mine, and slips all the time, it will however lock up when wheelspin on one side starts up, then it grabs pretty good, but DEFINATELY NOT locked all the time.

I believe they are more like a tight limited slip.
    Not the normal limited slip like cars have, but something "tighter" kinda hard to explain what i'm saying though.

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, i have to disagree with that last statement, i have a Gov-Loc in the rear of mine, and slips all the time, it will however lock up when wheelspin on one side starts up, then it grabs pretty good, but DEFINATELY NOT locked all the time.

Not the normal limited slip like cars have, but something "tighter" kinda hard to explain what i'm saying though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would consider an ARB selectable locker as not a true locker because it isn't engaged all the time? A gov lock is like a selectable locker. It is not like a limited slip. A limited slip has the clutches engaged all the time but allows slippage between them when going around a turn. A gov lock acts as a selectable locker. Open for normal driving, but when it has to engage it locks solid with no slippage. The definition of a locker is a device that is designed so when engaged it locks the 2 rear axles together. A properly functioning gov loc does this.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

No they do not lock solid without slippage, i just mentioned this, they do still slip. And a Gov-Loc does use clutches in it as well.

They lock to a certain degree, then will slip if the pressure is too great, this is why i want to go with a Detroit in hopse of a more "locked" rear diff.

Just talk with the people who have wheeled with me and have seen my rear diff work,,,,or not work right as it is.

Now i have seen the 10 bolt Gov-Loc work in a friends truck, that one did seem to lock tighter when the hil climbs were on, maybe because it's a different setup then the 14b, i dunno, but all i know i guess is mine does not work as you are decsribing, it does help but does not lock like you are saying.

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A gov-loc doesn't have a mechanical locking device inside of it like an ARB, Lockrite, PowerTrax, Detroit, etc. None of those use clutches. They use mechanical engagement of metal teeth to lock. However, when a gov-loc is new it will grab very tightly when engaged, but not like a solid mechanical locker. The bummer is that as the clutches wear, the grip slowly fades away. Rebuilding one is pretty easy, but GM gets over $150 for the clutches. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right they are not locked all the time and neither is a Detroit. They are considered a true locker though. They have clutches to engage them which requires wheel spin to lock and they unlock once you don't have power to it. They are also supposed to unlock at 25 or so mph. If yours slips then the clutches are toasted because they are not supposed to slip.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A Detroit Locker is locked about 99.9% of the time. The only time it unlocks is when one axle is trying to spin faster than the diff case (as in when turning a corner). The rest of the time both axles are locked solidly together.

And unlike a Gov-Loc, there is no true differentiation with a Detroit (or Lockrite, Powertrax, etc.) The way that it allows one axle to go faster than the diff case is to completely disconnect it from the drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It doesn't have any spider gears at all so you get either all or nothing...