Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF hub question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Aug 12, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I recently tore apart a 14 bolt FF from a '79. I pulled the axle, the outer locknut, the ring with tangs locking the inner nut from spinning, the inner nut, a washer, and then I got to the bearings. That's all that was in there. The thing I have a question about is that ring with tangs which locks the inner nut. Both of them (right and left hub) are kind of mangled. When I pulled it out, only one of the tangs was engaged in one of the 6 indents on the inner nut. It looks like that tang was pushed in a bit to accomplish this. Should they all be pushed in so as to lock the inner nut better? I'll probably buy new ones because these ones are pretty dinged up. Also, one of my manuals (forgot which one) shows a keyway that goes on that groove in the spindle. Mine didn't have that...should it? I can't even think how that would do anything because there is no keyway relief ground into the nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any help/advice is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

both washers that come out should have keyways in them...i have the GM part numbers for those washers... the one with the tangs locks the outer nut, and the other goes between the inner nut and bearing..
    inner washer:3663658
    outer washer with tangs:3663659

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Confedneck said it best. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, sorry - I didn't make that clear I guess. The two washers (flat one, and the one with tangs) have a "key" formed on their inside diameter - so, looks like I'm ok with that. My question was, the manual I was looking at (must be Haynes because it was a photograph) showed someone actually pulling out a 1/4" x 1" long key out of the end of the spindle /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Must be a different design.

How does the washer with tangs lock the outer nut? When I took the hub apart, that washer was in between the two nuts with the bent-over tangs facing the inner nut. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Confedneck

that key is certain setups only, its a haynes manual for sure...the 79 14 bolt i just had into didnt have that key...the washer with tangs should have one tang or two bent into the indentations in the outer nut..to keep it from backing out even though it gets heavily torqued..

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The washer with the tangs on both the inside and outside of it grabs onto the indents in the outer nut IIRC. I wish I had a pic due to the fact that I'm not good at explanations /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

So, sounds like the washer with tangs was put in backwards in my axle /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one it keeps from spinning, but I'll put it in the other way when I assemble it...thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wait...doesn't it make more sense to have that washer with tangs lock the inner nut? I mean, think about the front axle...you're dealing with a similar setup. Sure, by having it lock the outer nut you're keeping it and the inner nut from backing out, but what about the inner nut spinning in towards the bearing? I'd rather have it lock the inner nut and rely on torque to hold the outer nut in place. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Confedneck

yes it was put in backwards...new ones cost me 4 bucks a piece wholesale..so its worth it to get at least new lockwashers so you dont have to worry about breaking the tangs

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that part number /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...saves some trouble explaining what I need at the dealer /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. Confedneck

not a problem...if you need any other 14 bolt parts, most everything is listed in the advanced preview section under post "list your part numbers here"...good luck