Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF in a 71 Jimy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Dec 19, 2003.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I am looking to swap the 12 bolt in my 1971 Jimmy for a 14 bolt FF. Can I use a 14bolt from any model Chevy, or does it have to be from a certian year? Besides new wheels and ubolts is their anything else I would need for the swap? Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should need to use a 14bff from a 1 ton pickup. This way you won't have to relocte the spring perches. You can find out alot more info threw a search on the subject, especially in the 69-72 forum. It has been discussed quite a bit.

Harley

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

A 14BFF from a 1-ton will get you close. The 1 ton's have a spring perch spacing of 40.5". Your '71 Jimmy has a perch spacing of 40". But you will still have to move the shock mounts.

On my '71 Burb, I used a 3/4 14BFF and moved the perches and shock mounts to the correct spacing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But you will still have to move the shock mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to move the shock mount to the correct position would I just measure the shock mount on the 12bolt and move the 14bolt shock mount to mirrow the original? Is it better to buy a new mount or cut the old one off and reuse it? Thanks

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    But you will still have to move the shock mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to move the shock mount to the correct position would I just measure the shock mount on the 12bolt and move the 14bolt shock mount to mirrow the original? Is it better to buy a new mount or cut the old one off and reuse it? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I measured my 12 bolt while it was still under my Burb and then welded the tabs on the 14BFF to match. I was able to cut off and reuse the factory 14BFF mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

40" is 72-older 4x4 and at least 63-87 1 ton including 77-up 4x4.

same

go for it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif move shock mount though, can do it at frame rail or have someone relocate existing on axle tube with welder /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and then get U joint that will allow the swap /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif probably will have to modify brake lines on axle, or swap hose at hose bracket near diff housing, may not be same size or threads, not sure on that one, line should be same size but fitting may not be, so cut flare off and swap threaded line fitting and re-flare and be done /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif