Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF lock right?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueBlazer, Dec 5, 2001.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Any of you guys out there have one. I got one in my front axle and I love it, but I dont know how strong the 14 bolt version is. I know the detroit is supposed to be the best, but its more money and Ive heard its more harsh as far as daily driving goes. Also, where are the lowest prices for lock rights and detroits. Thanks

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Detroit is just as easy to install as a lock right in a 14 FF. Just get the real deal.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. BlueBlazer

Well the fact that its 50 bucks less interests me. The design of my front lock right is very tight and doesnt leave much room for the metal to flex and possibly break, so I figure the 14 bolt is just like it. If this is the case, it might be nearly as strong as the detroit or even as strong. I just want to know if anyone has one and if they like it or not.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your truck, man.

Only way I'd ever use a lock right is if I didn't want to pay to have a full carrier locker installed in an axle, supposing it wasn't a 14 FF.

If I was going to lock a 14 FF, I'd put the detroit in myself.

$50 is not enough for me to not get the real deal over. In other words, I'm wouldn't pinch a measly $50 on something that important.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. BlueBlazer

Just curious, do you or any of your "friends" have a 14 ff with a lock right in it.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought the LR and DL are within the same price range?

The only time I would use a LR is if the 14FF already has the Gov-Lock and I did not want to change the carrier. Otherwise, I will go with the DL any day. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Lock-Rite in my pulling rig/daily driver (I don't drive it everyday but could, I use my car alot for better MPG) with a 14FF. I used it because I got a sweet deal on it and it was a piece of cake to install. I have pounded the living day-lights out of it and it has no signs of wear or fatigue after 20,000 miles. I have driven rigs with 14FF with detroits and although there are some minor differences in road characteristics (not really pro's or con's, just differences), both seem stout. I have heard (never seen any personally) of detroits AND loc-rites blowing but neither is a common occurance. And I still think in the case of loc-rites, if the old cross shaft is used (and is un-hardened) or the carrier is weak, the added stress of the wheels locked will cause them to fail (which takes out the loc-rite) and the loc-rite gets blamed (personal opinion though). Either way you should be alright, but if you have the money you may want to get the Detroit as I believe it takes the place of the carrier as well (not sure because I have never installed one).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

8. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I have a used (installed in the rear end, but never insatlled the 14bolt in the truck) detriot. I will make you a good deal on $250 plus shipping.

Kent

1989 K5