Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff - lsd/locker ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wi86blazer, Feb 8, 2001.

1. wi86blazer

wi86blazer Registered Member

What lockers and or limited slips are available for 14 bolt full floaters? I'm thinking of installing a 14 bolt but I'm not so sure I can live with a detroit locker. Just how bad is the clunk/bang in the corners?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I am yet to identify ANY LSD diffs for a 14B FF. The Gov-Lock is available in some stock, but technically, that is a locker. To cut down on clunking and banging, you might look at the Detroit SofLocker, which is supposed to engage quiter and doesn't cost much more. Actually, I think that TracTech is moving away from selling the original Detroit for a lot of applications to sell the SofLocker. There is also the NoSlip, which is kind of the next generation of the LockRight. It is also available for the 14B, is supposed to be "as smooth as an LSD" and is supposed to be stronger than the LockRight. I think that you can install either one of them using the existing carrier (no gears to set up).

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

3. wi86blazer

Thanks for the info, and now I have to ask - anyone out there have any expereince with the detroit soft locker? Or for that matter which one (besides the detroit locker) would be the most dependable?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend has the Detroit Soft lockers in the front and rear Dana 60's on his hybrid and they are quieter and little better on the road than the regular locker......but it's still a locker. On the other hand, I didn't think a Soft locker version was offered for the 14 bolt FF yet.

5. wi86blazer

It sounds like the soft locker might be the way to go, I would think that if it can handle a Dana 60, it would probably be ok in a 14 bolt. The real question though - do they make one for the 14 bolt ff. I was looking around on the net last night and the only thing I found that fits a 14 bolt ff is the Detroit locker. I actually would prefer a locker over an lsd, and if ARB made an air locker for the ff - I'd get that, but they only make one that fits the sf 14 bolt.... The problem with that is I already agreed to buy that set of axles that mudzer has for sale, well that and the fact that I'd rather have the ff.

6. Topher

Topher Registered Member

wi86blazer - I would just get the regular Detroit Locker, especially if it's already in the 14bolt you want (heck sell the axle to me if you don't want it). I have the Detroit C-Locker in my 12bolt that I picked up from another member on here and it's completely driveable on the street (daily driver too). Clunks & bangs aren't that bad and in fact aren't nearly as bad as the clunks & bangs I get from my tranny/t-case during normal operation prior to the 12bolt/locker swap ('85 700r4 & 208).

On corners I usually try to coast around them but sometimes I'll just add a touch of throttle (seems to smooth it out a little). You may get tire chirping on tight full-lock turns but I kinda get a kick out of it. With the detroit you just have to get used to it and adjust your driving habits a "little". But there's really nothing to it and the time it takes to get accustomed to it is minimal IMO (like a day or two, lol). And besides, it's just one TOUGH unit.

Chris

7. wi86blazer

Topher, I was hoping I'd hear from somebody that has one. Right now it's an open diff, but I plan on installing a locker before it goes under the K5 (along with new seals, brakes and anything else it may need). It's hard to imagine what it's like driving a locker, especially the part about coasting around corners. Where I live, there are a lot of hills with corners, it might be pretty tricky to coast through a corner going up hill. But you're right, it's got a great reputaion for being durable - and they're not very expensive for the 14 bolt. If I can't find a soft locker for it, I'll stuff a locker in it. Oh yeah - thanks for your input!

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1183&occlass=DETL&cat=DRI>http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1183&occlass=DETL&cat=DRI</A>

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

9. wi86blazer

Hey - thanks Blue85!