Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF Oil seal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84Sierra, May 24, 2002.

1. 84Sierra

84Sierra Registered Member

I'm having trouble getting the inner oil seal out on one of the hubs. That thing is really in there. Is there a special tool or something that I need to get that out. If the bearing wasn't in the way I would just use a screw and a hammer from the other side. I don't want to be prying against the bearing to get it out either. Do they make a puller for this or something?

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can buy a seal puller from Sears for about $15 that will help. That and a big hammer will usually do the trick.

3. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I recently had this problem. What worked for me was 3 foot long crowbar and a wood block. Be really careful to get the tip of the crowbar against the metal part of seal and not on the hub. Maybe a bit o duct tape on the end of the crowbar would be a good idea incase you slip. A seal puller is the right way to do it tho...

I put the hub on the ground with the seal facing up, put a wood block in the drum for the crowbar to pivot on and gently pried evenly around the seal's circumference. It helps if you have somebody to hold the drum/hub assembly. The reason the seal was so wedged on my truck was that someone had previously scored the seal surface on the hub. grr.

Before the crowbar, I had tried everything but a seal puller and was pulling my hair, thinking, dang, I should've just left the old one there.

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I finally took my hubs to a machine shop and had them press the old seals out and press in the replacements. I wasted an entire morning with a three jaw puller, slide hammer, cursing, swearing..ect with no success.

5. 84Sierra

84Sierra Registered Member

Thanks guys, I went and picked up a seal puller at Sears for $7.99 and it popped it out real quick like.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

on a FF I just remove outer bearing then re thread the spindle nut on, then give hub/drum assembly a good pull using it like a slide hammer
    seal is removed and usually undamaged so you can reuse it if you have to.
    does this not work on 14ff?

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I always use a good old framer's hammer. the claw fits right back in there and you give it one good hit, like you're pulling a nail and it comes out easily

mike

8. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I don't think leaving the spindle nut on and pulling will remove the seal on a C14FF drum/hub. For one, I don't think you can remove the outer bearing without driving out races etc. Even if you could remove the outer bearing, the spindle nut is smaller than the seal by a quite a bit. I guess the nut would be pushing the inner bearing against the seal tho - based on how wedged my seal was it probably wouldn't do the bearing any good.

Disclaimer: This may or may not be correct - it's my understanding based on reading the crappy Haynes guide and taking mine off last week. Got the Chiltons this week. Much better than Haynes IMHO.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"For one, I don't think you can remove the outer bearing without driving out races"
    yes you can remove everybearing with the races in

"Even if you could remove the outer bearing, the spindle nut is smaller than the seal by a quite a bit"
    but it is larger then the ID of the inner bearing

"guess the nut would be pushing the inner bearing against the seal tho - based on how wedged my seal was it probably wouldn't do the bearing any good"
    you are on it now, the seal is a light press fit and the bearing is undamaged as you are putting force on it in the direction it is designed to deal with.

I have been doing that for years and it is common practice.
    seal is undamaged and reusable usually
    try it next time