Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff phillips head screws holding carrier together!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Sep 6, 2004.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Can you get new ones if so where, are they cheap. The idiots that worked on my buddies truck before he had it tightened everything to the extreme. The tires and wheels were on so tight my 400 lb. ingersol rand impact wouldn't budge them or the axleshaft retaining bolts either. These screws are worn from someone taking them off before and I can't get them out but if I can get new ones I'll weld a nut on the to get them out. Thanks Ryan

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge those screws are specific dealer items . They are only used on the FF Gov-Loc's.
    I bought a 1/2" drive Snap-On #3 Phillips head socket ( part number SP32A ) just for rebuilding these Gov-Loc's .
    Find a killed G/L or check the dealer to get another set ( If memeory serves me correctly there are three of them ) .
    Good Luck , Tom

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're using an impact tool to get them out, right?

4. backyardbuilt

Yes there are 3!

I have tried everything but they are partially rounded off from the last guy so as soon as I hit it with anything it pops out and spins.

5. backyardbuilt

Another ? what do those screws hold the carrier bolts would hold everything together is something inside held by them this is the first gov-loc I had to take apart. Could you leave them out and not hurt anything.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I never thought of not using them - it is not right butin theory it would not hurt anything. Those screws are there to hold the two halves together when the ring gear is seperated from the carrier. I would think all would be well if you used caution and made sure that the two halves stayed together durring ring gear installation.
    Sounds like a plan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif - Good luck , Tom

7. backyardbuilt

I went ahead and welded a nut to them got them out welded up the rear then tightened till the nut broke off then ground it down flush. By the way the gov-loc was broke inside thats why I had to do something. If we need to take it apart down the road I'll just have to weld nuts on again. No biggie thanks for the help though.