Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF pinion bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 8, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hopefully I actually get a response in this forum.

I was under my truck checking for loose bolts, greasing U-joints etc. When checking the rear driveshaft I noticed some up and down play at the pinion on my 14 bolt. Probably 1/8" up and down...:crazy:

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I am fairly certain the pinion bearings are wiped out. I guess depending on what the oil looks like I will be replacing all the bearings. Carrier bearings I've done, but never pinion bearings. Does the 14 bolt FF use a crush sleeve? Anyone care to give me a quick run through?

I'll probably upgrade to a 1410 yoke while I'm at it...

Rene

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Yep. Crush sleeve. You can unbolt the pinion support housing from the truck, set it up on the bench and bolt it back into the housing and go. It would be a good idea to re-check your backlash and pinion depth as well, but you should be ok without it, seeing as you're just doing bearings. You'll need the new crush sleeve and a new pinion seal. New pinion nut is a good idea too. Don't forget the little pilot/support bearing int he housing, that little bastard is expensive. Liek $40 if I remember correctly. 1 5/16's thin wall socket I believe. Alot of people have problems with the crush sleeve. If you have a health impact and air compressor, it's no problem. I did mine with the pinion support housing in a vice and workin the pinion nut with the impact. Just becarefull when your doing it, you'll know when the bearings make contack with the crush sleeve, there wont be any slop anymore. Just keep alternating with the impact and checking the preload with the in-lb torque wrench. Preload will be zero for aloong time, when the sleeve starts to crush, it increases VERY quickly. Check often. Thats about all I can remember right now, I just finished doing a re-gear a couple weeks ago, so it's all fresh in my mnd. :)

3. tRustyK5

Thanks Joe.

I might be pm'ing you when I actually get around to doing it.

Rene

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Sure thing dude. I edited my above post a bit, so might want to go over it again. :D

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I will use my impact to start the crush sleeve but once it starts i switch over to the 45deg offset breaker. You can get pretty good torque on it. Plus like KidJethro said. Once you reach the bottom of the sleeve the pre-load will increase rapidly. With an impact you could easily overdo it.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

In addition to what Joe said, here is a page from my Chiltons. It lists the required torque and preloads.

105_0588.JPG

105_0587.JPG

7. tRustyK5

Thanks guys! Great info!

Funny how when I post it here I get good info in no time flat, yet the exact same thread sat in the 73-91 forum all day with 19 views and no responses...:thinking:

Rene

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If this helps any Rene, the diagram/part numbers are here:

Parts manual

I always like to check with GM, sometimes they are cheaper than aftermarket.
    Then again, I always use gmpartsdirect.com to check my prices.

I would have responded about the crush sleeve, but it's not called that in the parts manual and I had no idea if it actually used one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005