Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff price?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, May 10, 2001.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

i called this guy today and he has a 14bolt ff and the front axle that goes with it with 411 gears and in good shape for $350. is that a good price and what do i look for when i go look at it. please help.also somebody has a rear out of a 98 2500 chevy pickup with 373 gears with disk brakes foe $250 what should i do . i have a 10bolt w 342 gears and 33's

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If at all possable look at the spindels if they are grooved and pitted dont bother it will leak. Also look at the ring and pinion to make sure they have no chipped or borked teeth. $350 is fair if its in good condition

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Stay away from the 98 rear. The pads and shock mounts are nowhere near where they need to be for your truck, it may not be full floating and adapting the disks might be difficult. Not to mention brake parts are not cheap.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hope Wes doesn't mind if I post this... this is a private email he sent me when I was asking the same question....

Seems like everything you need to know from the know everything guy (definately Wes, not me) lol... [​IMG]

Thats still a good buy. I sell my fronts and rears for $300.00 per axle, but, when someone wants both the front and rear, I sell them for $500.00 for the pair. Just my way of helping out. Still, for what you have found and since it is closer to you, thats still a good deal. Salvage yards, from what I have dealt with, sell those for anywhere from $1000.00 on up!!!!! And thats from a salvage yard, which could mean they are junk! Wrecks, fires, roll overs, etc. You dont know what you get from the salvage yard. Unless they let you inspect them and take the covers off of them, then those would be ok to deal with. I would check the gears first. Check to see all the teeth are still good and not broken or missing. Also check to see if the oil is clean and not "green", indicating water inside of it. The inside should not have any rusty surfaces on the cover or anywhere in them. Check the yokes for some play by grabbing them and turning them back and forth. If they are tight and very little play, they are good. If there is some play that seems abnormal or strange, walk away.
    Anything else, like the u-joints in the axle shafts are no big deals because they can be replaced. Check to see the shafts are good shape around the u-joint areas, especially the caps-area. If they are mangled, or broken, thats signs of past u-joints breaking or spitting out caps. Shafts can be a little costly to find. All in all, still sounds like a good deal to me. Just have to take your time when inspecting them. If something looks funny or doesnt work properly, you could always deal them down on price and rebuild or replace that part yourself. I have done this route many times. Later, and good luck, Wes.

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I just abought a 78 K20 for $50 it has the 14ff and the D44. For the noney I have in it I can afford to go through everything so I know its all up to standards. I have seen quite a few complete trucks going for under $300

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey Solo! I have no problem at all with repeating my quotes!!! [​IMG] Just another way of helping others out and saving more of my time to repeat the post!! [​IMG] Thanks!!! [​IMG]

7. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

That is a reral good deal man. But just make sure everything is in good shape like everyone said. I will be getting the same deal this weekend from mudzer for 500.00. So if everything is in good shape you got a good set up. Later LittleJimmy...

8. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Sounds like good price if everything is still good. Make sure the Brake drums are in good or turnable shape. Those things arent cheap. I paid around 350 for mine, but it needed all new bearings, seals ,and brakes.

One From None

9. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

I can buy a half-dozen rear mid-70's 14-bolts for ~$75US each tomorrow - if I wanted to. Various states of disassembly and gear ratios, but some complete. Front diff's are more money. If it's a D44, likely around $100US, if it's a D60, likely around $600US.

YMMV,

--Rob