Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff question..interesting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Aug 7, 2005.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok, so me and a friend were talking the other day about having a 14 bolt ff, say its welded, and you have hubs so u could unlock/lock it, u know. could u unlock one hub, having the other side locked and be able to move still? like having an open diff. or is this not even possible due to the welded spiders? :confused:
    thanx guys

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you would have to have custom shafts among other things to get hubs on a 14bff

3. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

U'd be able to move.. I have the spiders welded on my dana 60 frontend, sometimes I unlock the drivers side hub so I can turn easier. The pass side wheel still gets power. Im a lazy bastard

4. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

its just easier to get a detroit. not worth the time.ive been driving my truck with a welded 14ff for about 10 months and dont even mind it and its a dd then i got money for the detroit but havent had time to install it yet.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ok your a littl econfused on what hubs are on a 14bolt. they are not like front locking hubs, the point is so the hub carries the weight of the vechicle, not the axle, the axle just makes you go forward. in theaory yes this works on a front end, both axles are still spinning, but only 1 hubs is engaged.

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well awhile back, we got done running The Gap and met up with a bunch of other guys, and this one guy had an old CJ, w/ some sort of FF in the rear, and had custom hubs to unlock/lock in the axle. so thats what got us thinking.

74 chev wrote
    my K5 has a welded 12 bolt, and i drive it daily. i dont feel the need for a detroit or anything until i go bigger axles u know..

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Isn't that how they (Jeep guys) build a full float, using front hubs? I'm talkin' out my ass, but I seem to think I read that somewhere.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

This has been done. Not exactly for the reasons you describe. I think it was done for flat towing purposes but same same. Sorry, that's all I know about it.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I remember articles in the mags from way back that mentioned it for the same reason... to flat tow.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Warn sold kits with alloy shafts for D35 and D44, if I remember correctly. Came with flanges for the tube ends, hubs (Like a front hub on a 4x4) and locking hubs. It did make it a FF and you could use drive flanges or regular locking hubs. They may still sell them, I just know they made one for the 10/12 bolt and stopped making them.

Don't put hubs on your rear axle on a heavy truck, you're asking to be stranded somewhere when they shatter to pieces.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As mentioned, Warn made a full-floating conversion kit for certain axles that you could either use locking hubs or drive flanges on. The main purpose of the kit was to gain the strength and other advantages of having a full-floating axle and they used existing locking hubs or flanges because they already had them on the shelf and thus the easiest solution. Most of the locking hubs used in these applications were modified in function from the regular front style to make sure they did not come unlocked while driving.........you could unlock them but they were typically something you had to fight with.

With that said, if you theoretically unlocked one side of a welded 14ff it would still move. However, it would NOT operate like an open diff as all of the power is forced to one side and thus creating some unusual handling issues and torque steer......I would think having a welded diff with both sides engaged would be better on the street.

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

double splined, custom made axleshafts for a 14bff = $$$