Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Alot of y'all converty them to disc breaks. Does anyone make a disc kit that'll move the wheels out 1.5 inch on each side ??? Want to line the tires up with the front. Or how about drums that move them outwards the same 1.5 inch on each side ???? I really don't want to use spacers, and different offsets of back spacing from the fronts and rears will screw me up when it's time to rotate the tires. Any ideas ??????

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the back tires are suppose to be in further aides in turning and tracking are you doing this so the tires don't rub when you flex ???? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just don't like the look of them being inwards. I want them lined up with the fronts.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The brakes on a 14bff really have nothing to do with the WMS to WMS distance. That is determined by your hubs. I suppose you could get custom hubs made ($$$$$) but other than spacers and a van 14bff, I don't know of any other way to make the front and rear WMS to WMS the same. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

As was said, the brakes on a 14bFF have nothing to do with how/where the tire mounts. One side of the hub is where the brake system resides; the other is where wheel sits. The only way to make the wheel position wider is to make some sort of bracket that extends the mounting surface from the hub out. No matter how you look at it, unless you make a new hub, you have a spacer.

The other way to achieve this is to run different backspacing on your front and rear wheels.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So does anyone make the custom hubs ??? What kind of price are we talking ???

7. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

any disc kit that moved the WMS would have spacers most likely. 1.5" a side is just something we have to live with unless you have it machined in some way

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If you're going through all that trouble why not just run a spacer. There's nothing wrong with spacers as long as you re-torque them.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Why not just find a van 14ff? Thats what I did and they look good.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've already got a 14 FF with matching gears to the 3/4 Ton Dana 44 sittinng next to it. [​IMG]

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Don't get wheels with different offsets.
    If you want it to be wider, I'd say go with the spacers. I know there have been som reports of wheels falling off, but the posts that are firsthand usually say something along the lines of: I put them on and was meaning to retorque them, but hadn't yet, and after 300 miles they fell off.
    Just like new wheel, spacers would need to be retorqued until they held a torque value. I don't see any problem with running them. Go buy n ew wheels and drive on them without ever retorquing them and you'll loose a wheel, also.

I'm not sold on the idea of needing the rear wider, but if you want it wider that would be the way to go, IMO.
    -- Mike

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK someone correct me if this info is wrong. I have been told that w/ the exception of spring and shock mounts all 14FF housings and axle shafts are the same. The difference in the width, (standard, dually, and van), is solely in the offset of the hubs.

I have looked VERY little into this myself, but noticed on my dads dually the hubs stuck way out there and the backing plates were sunk around the mounting flange where the std. 14 I put under PI has a smaller hub sticking thru and the backing plates have much less offset. I havent seen a van 14 to know about them but have been told the hub is near nothing.

Has anyone ever compared the housings and shafts? Not just WMS. Id like to know just for curiosity if nothing else.

13. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a van 14 bolt sittin at the shop..ill check it out monday if no one else posts up

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't want to go 6 lug. Both front and rear are 8 lug. If I used those, I'd be back at the original problem again, the rear wheels wouldn't be as far out as the fronts.