Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, May 14, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Looking for a good source of info for rebuilding my 14 bolt FF , other than Billavista's article on Pirate 4x4 or the military manual that he has in that article.

I says in the military manual that the pinion support bearing has to be installed with the part number facing the front of the truck. I was wondering why? I installed mine last night and I'm not sure which way I put it in. I'd go look , but I'm at work.

2. marine_enlisted

No ones ever gutted their 14 bolt?

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I used the Chiltons '71-'77 Truck Manual. It has all the torque specs and such in it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have done many rearends, never used a manul before.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I actually did a lot of searching on here for torque values and such. I also downloaded the instruction for set up from Randy's page here

Here are a few threads I saved
    Hope this helps some /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. marine_enlisted

Wow, that really helps me out, thanks so much. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I says in the military manual that the pinion support bearing has to be installed with the part number facing the front of the truck. I was wondering why? I installed mine last night and I'm not sure which way I put it in. I'd go look , but I'm at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it went together it should be right. I don't think you can put those bearings in backwards.

8. marine_enlisted

Brian, thanks for the links. I checked out my pinion support bearing this afternoon and I see no reason why it would be directional. The old one fell apart when I removed it and looking at the inside of the race and the rollers, there is really no difference front to back. That's why I am hoping to find another source of info besides that military manual. I'm getting a little nervous about this whole swap. I'll be going from stock 10 bolts to regeared one tons with disc brakes this weekend , and on the 24th were moving to Minnesota , so the wife will be driving the truck 1300 miles. I hope I get it together in time for any problems to surface before we hit the road. The wife is one of those "turn up the radio people" when it comes to funny noises in a vehicle.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about the small cylindrical roller bearing that supports the pilot on the pinion it is supposed to be tapped in on the side with the numbers stamped on it . Bearings like that are thickest on the outer race where the manufacture stamps the numbers and that is where it is intended to be faced towards the driven side when installed .
    I hope that I said this to where it can be understood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ...... If not than I will try to explain better . HTH , Tom

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it would last more then 1300 miles even if you destroyed the extra pinion support IMO
    once it started making noises you may as well just turn up the tunes cause the damage is done

11. marine_enlisted

I spoke with a tech at Randy's Ring and Pinion, he said it doesn't matter which way that pinion support bearing goes in. He said he usually rebuilds a couple of 14 bolt FF's a week and he has never had one fail by putting it in one way or the other.

On another note he also said that a pinion depth setting tool is unneccessary, he said they start with a .012 shim and check the pattern and make the necessary shim adjustments based upon the first pattern results. He said if it's not right the first time, they can usually get it right on the second attempt. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif