Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF setup instructions needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Jan 28, 2005.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone,

I know a lot of you have 14 bolt full-floaters, and a fair amount of you have done some repair/rebuild work to them. I'll admit, I haven't set up gears before because they somewhat scare me.

Anyway, a while back, I made a post saying that I think I may have problems with my 14 bolt. Long story short - I replaced the yoke and fear I either didn't torque the pinion nut, or possibly too much - I'm getting vibrations I didn't have before I replaced the yoke.

I'd like gear-setup info for anything I might have to do. I plan on removing the pinion support cage (or whatever you call it) out of the centersection (leaving the ring gear intact). I'll then turn the pinion with an inch-pound torque wrench and compare that number with factory spec.

Here are the possibilities...
    1) The torque is too low, indicating that I didn't tighten the nut enough. If that's the case, I'll torque it down enough to reach the required spec....
    2) The torque is too high, indicating that I tightened the nut too much. In that case, I'll need to buy a new crush sleeve, install it, and torque it down.

Can someone more experienced than I take each one of those scenarios the next step further? I imagine for #1 I'll just need to reinstall the pinion cage with any factory shims that were in place and be good to go. For #2, I'm guessing I'll have to make sure backlash and whatever else is correct.

There is an equal possibility that I'll have to do one of these, so I'd like an explanation for each (ie, what tools, gauges will I need to set up gears if I need to do that...and how do I do that).

I appreciate any help!

-Steve

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

These are photographed pages from my Chiltons. It has R&R and set-up instructions listed.

Hope this helps!!:D

105_0586.JPG

105_0587.JPG

105_0588.JPG

105_0589.JPG

105_0590.JPG

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot, Ben...that will surely help.

I do have all of the factory service repair manuals for my truck, but it's been a while since I've looked at them, and I haven't specifically looked for the information I'm seeking in them. I'll have to do that.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status