Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF shock problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by martoni, Oct 24, 2003.

1. martoni

martoni Newbie

I've got a 14 bolt under a '86 K5 with monroe coil-over load levelers on the rear. I have now popped the top chrome rod out of the lower piston unit twice--Advance Auto replaced the first set. Both times this happened on the passenger side unit.

I think the shock perches on the 14 bolt are lower than those on the 10 bolt so the shock, eventhough it's rated for the vehicle is not getting compressed so when off-road under flex it goes "boing".

I'm looking for a Shock recomendation for this setup. The K5 has the 14 bolt leaf pads with the factory 10 bolt leaf stack on it.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Did your 14BFF come out of a 2wd or 4wd? The 2wd shock mounts hang down farther on the axle tube...probably 2" or so. That might be your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. martoni

martoni Newbie

Yep, that's it. The axle came from a 1978 2WD camper special.

Thanks for the help Ben.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have a welder or access to one? can get someone to weld on new shock mounts to stop that.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 14FF came out of a 77' 2wd and one shock won't bolt up because I have shims under the block. You'll have to get the torch and welder out.