Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt FF Slop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by okie k5, Jun 13, 2004.

1. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

I 've got a 14 Bolt FF and the pinion yoke has some hellacious rotational slop. I would estimate that the yoke rotates roughly 45 or 50 degrees before actually engaging the ring gear. Is this normal? I don't think it is and I was planning on having a shop check it out. What are some likely causes and what kind of prices are we talking about. I realize labor rates vary, I just don't want to get rouchambeaued.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Definilty not normal and needs checked out

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it has a Detroit Locker and 4.56 gears, then that would be normal. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

To read why, click on the link in my sig, then select "Tech Articles", then the link for locking differentials. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

With a detroit the 14FF can allow a lot of slop. My rig rolls about 2 feet sometimes due to this slop (rolls when parked on incline). I have asked a few owners of this set up and they all said it was normal.

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Great article! Makes me rethink my thoery that my spud shaft is worn, maybe all that slop is due to a detroit and 4.10's. Nah, I couldn't get that lucky.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    my spud shaft is worn

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

NO, for soem reason theres always more movement at the yoke then the ring gear. If you dont have a locker then thats not right. You could always pull the cover and check it out though.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem with my 14ff when I picked it up from the wrecking yard. Lots of slop and I just had a govlok and 4.10's. When I first got it going the R7p were howling like crazy so I took it to a gear shop and they popped in new pinion bearings which were coming apart letting the pinion slide in too far.

9. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

A gear shop told me it is normal for the 14 Bolt. The killer is that it wore out a Dana/Spicer ujoint in 12,000 miles. That is awful quick as far as I am concerned. If I have to replace ujoints every 12,000 miles I can live with that, but if it is not normal I don't want to. Thanks for the posts and the answers.