Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt ff spool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blazerus, Nov 20, 2002.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I just saw a picture of a spool for a 14 bolt ff in the knew fourwheeler mag.$170 Is it worth it. I know it will stay locked in the rear at all time's but when I had my detroit in the rear of my 1/2 in my blazer it chirped the tires all the time and it seemed to act like a spool.
    So would it be worth it? or should I get the detroit for my 14 bolt.
    Colin

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Don't bother with the spool, if you want it permanently locked then just weld that puppy up. The 14 bolt has the beef in the spiders to take being welded and will hold up just fine. Here's a pic of my welded 14 bolt spiders before I de-boogered them.

[​IMG] </font color>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

$167.95 for the spool shown in the magazine. I think I would rather pay this rather than weld something and worry that the welds could/may fail in the future. No matter how good a welder someone is. But this is just me. (And my money, too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green">That's understandable, but theres an awful lot of surface area to weld on 14 bolt spiders. I think I'd spend the extra $100 and get a Detroit over the spool if I were to actually spend money on it. </font color>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were doing the rock crawling scene and had a truck that was purely a crawler, then I would go with the spool.
    But for something I need to drive more on the streets and still want to have a locker in the rear for, I would get the Detroit for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

just weld it and don't bother with a spool. I did. I don't mind it that much, and it is my daily driver. I might go and get a detroit if I get the $ but the welded is great.

7. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

If I was in the rockcrawler seen I would to weld the rear or put a spool in. But for $170 and your locked in the rear. I drive my truck daily on the road and take it out on the weekend's to go play in the mud,sand,snow. So mybe I should lock the rear up right and get the detroit.
    Colin

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

You know---i thought i was the only one that thought this way----i have mine welded right now and am definately thinking about that spool---i think it is worth it in the peice of mind aspect

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I welded mine up. If I ever change it I will go with a Detroit for 2 reasons:

1) Sharper turning radius on pavement
    2) I could twin stick my 205 and use turning breaks.

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Was looking for another 14B spider weld post.Other said to weld 1 skip 1 weld 1 skip 2 weld 1 skip 1 weld 1 skip 2.This method doesn't weld gears together and doesn't ruin carrier.Had pic of spiders with weld. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK Shaggy, this may seem kinda basic, but how exactly did you get everything lined up properly to weld it up. Did you just stack it up on the bench and start smokin it, or did you tack it all together in the carrier, THEN take it out to finish? It almost looks like the cross inside would just about line it all up and make the side gears flush to the spiders.

I am looking into doing my rear very soon, as in the next few weeks. I have never opened up my 14 so I dont know what exactly is going on in there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Ive looked at pics and read the article, but would rather weld it up solid. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

And finally, will a Detroit still go in later if I wanted to?

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

lol, I welded Shaggy's stuff. The spiders are welded to the side gears and the spiders to the cross shaft. Just tacked it all together in the carrier then pulled it out and welded it up. Gotta make sure the tacks are good ones though. Don't want the heat to pull anything out of aligment when ya start welding it up. The insides of a 14 bolt are waaay simple. When I welded mine, it took me about 2 hours from the time I pulled the first cover bolt till the time I torqued the last one. And yes you could pull out the welded spiders and drop in a Detriot no problem. Nothing about the carrier is changed. I think that if i were to swap a Detriot in mine I could do it in less than an hour. If ya want, send me your carrier minus the ring gear with the spiders, side gears, and cross shaft, I'll weld it up like Shaggy's, then send it back to ya. Did the same for Shaggy. I think the shipping might kill it though.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$170 isnt worth it IMO... just weld the spider gears (like the tech article on ck5 says) and then spend a lil cash (ie, WAY less than $170) to get an extra set of spiders. If you EVER want your axle "unwelded" or to put a detroit in or whatever, u just swap in that extra set of spiders you have and presto, you're set. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

15. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

question: where can i order it?
    do spools replace the carrier, or am i wrong? i think if the spool replaces the ebtire carrier, then i will go ahead and buy my gears and the spool and do them at the same time. thanks.

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK so what should I do, lay in the side gear, stack the spiders and cross in there and tack it, then take it out and lay in the other side gear and stack on the already tacked assembly and tack it up. Then remove the whole thing and smoke it together on the bench.

Ill be useing a 110v mig on max boost. (and using the pic above as a reference)

17. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Had Detroit few years ago_Old model with 16 spline axles.Couldn't get parts.Welded now.Prefer weld cause it acts same all the time.Locker shock loads axles worse and will over --under steer depending on throttle aplication. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am going to have somebody weld mine up. then im going to run 1 wheel drive in the back. i have 3 "stub" axles for a 14 bolt FF. they are axles chopped off about 2 inches after the flange.

it doesnt take long to change out a shaft on the dang things.

the second option is to see if the truck i pulled the D60 off of has a detroit. then ill just swap that right in. BUT to me the cheaper the better.... so long as it is safe.
    grant

19. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

good point

20. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Had one wheel drive when detroit broke.Makes for some strange handling.I'd take drivers side axle out,Make it pull toward shoulder instead of oncoming traffic. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif