Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14-bolt FF Swap....Yes Another One! ;)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doc70sub, Dec 22, 2002.

1. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I'm in the process of slinging the 14-bolt FF under my '79 Blazer w/ a 4" lift (Rancho Spring front & Block rear) & wanted to verify info I've gathered from here. First, I'm using a van width 14-bolt, so I need to move the perches. 42.5" center-to-center seems to be correct for my application, is this true? Also, pinion angle needs to be set, but the truck & welder are in two different counties. A shackle-flip is in my future (a while after the body swap) so should I just shoot for 0 degree & shim as necessary given the lack of truck access? If anyone needs a set of 10-bolt front & 12-bolt rear (suppossedly w/ posi, but the roll test proves it to be wore out) w/ 3.08's, I'll cut'em a deal! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Thanks!
    Doc

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4 14FF fits K5's with out changing the perches. If you are flipping the shackels - you will probably need to shim if you don't want to cut off and reweld the perches.

3. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

This is the 1-ton van width 14-bolt, so the perches do need to be move & I realize the shackle flip will necessitate shimming possibly, but not doing the swap @ present time.
    Doc

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the same right now and used shackle flips and spring mounts from echobit.
    web page

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Hey TonyP
    Are you going to offer your 8 lug to 6 to the rest of us? If you do what price range do you think it will go for?

Eric

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just got my perches rewelded yesterday, and I will install an echobit flip in a couple weeks. I welded the perches a few degrees down so when i do theflip, I wont have to shim as much /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Highlander

I've been think of using a Van for the rearend, what did you use has a center piont the pinon? Thats what I was think of doing.
    You'll have to take some pic's of the swap for those of us that are thinking of doing this.

Eric

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the 8 to 6 lug ring can be done, but you would have to do some turning on your hub so the rim will go on. I'm not sure if I'll make them out of alum or steel yet, as the alum have to be around 1" thick and the steel can be 1/2" thick. It would depend on how wide you can go. If you want a set let me know... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I just made a temp T-STAND that bolts to the top 2 holes on the backing plate flange and then used 2 plum bobs (whatever you call them) that hang to the center of the old mounts and found the center from that, then measued the 21.25 each way and dropped a new line to the axle and marked it from there...Easy

10. Highlander

I've been think of using a Van rearend but if your setup will widen things out a bit I'll go that way.
    I'll take a look at your pics to see what part of the hub need to be turned down, Hopefuly I can get it done at work. As to when I'll put in a FF I need to get one first /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But it needs to get done soon.

Eric

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you would turn the outside of the hub down so the rim will fit over it...