Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff swap??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, May 9, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have 10 bolts front and rear and I want to swap out the rear for a 14 bolt ff and I was wondering what all has to be done to complete the swap. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

unbolt the 10b. remove. put the 14bff in. bolt up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

umm... dammit, I swore there was a tech article on this.

Consider a few things... van or dually 14 bolts have different spring perch widths, so be sure to get a 3/4 ton (or 1 ton SRW?) 14 bolt.

You'll need to do something creative for the driveshaft -- a combo Uijoint, I think.

Also consider that the 14 bolt will be 8 lug and your front will be 6. You could carry two spares, or none... or switch the front to 8 lug, same parts as a D44, IIRC. Adapters are available but aren't cheap -- prolly cheaper to convert the front over.

-- A

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hours of back breaking labor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Seriously it is basically just remove old one put new one on, you will have to buy a ujoint to fit your 1/2 ton driveshaft and the 3/4 ton yoke on the 14ff. Also the e brake lines will have to be altered a little on a newer rig i believe it's 81's and up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If you do it then let me know and I can help you with the e brake riggin'. I think I have some pic's in the pc somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 85mudblazin

Thanks but one more question, what do you do with the brakes should I try and find a 14 bolt with good brakes or is there some way to put the drums on there from the 10 bolt? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. dremu

No 10 bolt parts will fit -- the drums on the 14 bolts are approximately the size of Rhode Island. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you get one with crappy brakes, consider doing a disc conversion. Or just fixing the brakes -- have the drums turned, new shoes, maybe replace the wheel cylinders if they look squishy... not bad.

-- A

7. stallion85

I kept the drums that were on the 14ff and will upgrade to disk in the future. the bake lines match right up to the 14ff from the 10 bolt. The e brake setup is what will need to change /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 85mudblazin

what are some things to look for when shopping the junkyard for a 14 bolt??

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Tech Article: HERE

Its amazing how much good info is available if you select "Technical" in the scroll down Navigation menu at the top of the page. Not only should search be used, but perhaps the pages and pages of info also available here on the site /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

not to hyjack

how can you tell if it has a gov-lock?

thanks

11. 85mudblazin

I dont really want to have to buy new rims so would a 14 bolt sf be a better choice and is it strong?

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I have a 14sf it's 8 lug. I think the newer one 92' and up are in 6 lug not really sure though.

13. stallion85

It will look like this when you take the cover off
    [​IMG]

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks but one more question, what do you do with the brakes should I try and find a 14 bolt with good brakes or is there some way to put the drums on there from the 10 bolt? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] Just do a brake job if they are worn out. Also there is the option to do a disc brake conversion that is realitivly easy.

[ QUOTE ]
    what are some things to look for when shopping the junkyard for a 14 bolt??

[/ QUOTE ]Look for a PAIR of axles out of a K20 with preferably 4.56 gears. Don't be afraid of a 14BFF gov-lok, it won't break on you and the worse case scenerio is it doesn't work all that well from many miles of use but chances are it will keep both tires spinning better than an open version would.

As far as the E-brake goes, if you get a set of axles out of an 81' and later model than it will bolt up to your 85'K5 linkage. Earlier axles are a bit different, I still havent hooked mine up because of this reason.

15. stallion85

Buy some cheapo 15" 8 lug rims for the time being. i was lucky to get a good set of rims when I did my axle swap. i also bought new tires before swapping over so I could get 16" tires.

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont really want to have to buy new rims so would a 14 bolt sf be a better choice and is it strong?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Forget the SF14B IMHO, you probably already have too high of gears with your 10B's and you would still have to use the old high geared front. Get a set of 8 lug axles because the 14BFF is way better than the SF14, lower gears, and the front 3/4 version 10B/D44 has 8 lug hubs and would be very easy to then just swap in a D60 down the road if you choose to go hardcore one day. Sell your rims(unless you have some that are expensive like Welds, then I would reconsider) and just get some new 8 lugger 15 or 16 inchers. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. dremu

dammit, I *knew* I missed it...

-- A

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It will look like this when you take the cover off
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also note the small hole on the left lower side by the ring gear. An open diff has 4 holes ( one for each spider gear) and the gov-lok only has three. Oh, and they are not holes per-say, but thats what it kinda looks like in the pic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif