Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF wheel cylinder question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Aug 11, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm about to replace the wheel cylinders in my 14 bolt FF. My service manual basically says to tear apart the whole brake assembly (springs, shoes, etc) BUT, it almost looks like I can replace the cylinders without having to do that just by removing the two bolts on the backing plate and pulling out the wheel cylinder.
    So, can I do that? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif That would be really good news because all those springs scare me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

UPDATE: Yes, you can do that. I replaced both cylinders without having to remove the springs, shoes, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've never tried it like that. I'm doing mine today also, but I'm replacing the pads anyways. By the looks of everything in there, I don't think it will work. Others may have a different opinion though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've "cheated" before and removed and replaced just the wheel cylinder on 1/2 ton axles,its a little tricky but it can be done and I agree why touch the shoes if your not replacing them?.I dont know if the 14 bolt is similar but I think you can do it.I've found that if you follow the instructions in most of the chiltons(childrens?)manuals to the letter,many times they put you thru a lot of unnessasary work,in my experience anyway /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Just got done replacing mine... AND yes! yes you can just replace the clyinders! Looks like there is an easier way to get that done. I think I'll stick w/ the conventional way because usually when the wheel cylinder goes, it's time for pads anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif