Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt FF ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, May 5, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I did a search and didn't come up with anything with the answer so here goes... I read that the drum wont come off like a regular axle to get inside.... It said something about pulling the axle shaft out and something about it having a clip ? :confused: So how do you get everything apart to get to the shoes ? And better yet if i do get it apart what are the steps for putting it back together ? Any and all info would be appreciated Thanks

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll do the best I can without my manual in front of me.

To take them off:

Take off the tire

Unbolt the axleshaft and slide it out

Now you can see the inside of the hub. The rear hubs are held on like your front wheel hubs, with two large round nuts with a lock washer between them. The nuts will probably require the 6 prong spindle nut socket, it looks like the middle one in this picture- [​IMG] There's a chance that you might need a 4 prong socket like the one on the right, but most 14 bolts use the 6.

Now take the outer wheel bearing nut off

Slide the lock washer out

Take the inner wheel bearing nut off

Now, if you're lucky the drum should slide off without too much hassle, you might have to turn the brake adjuster through an access hole in either the drum or the backing plate to pull the brake shoes in a little to let the drum/hub slide off.

Installation:
    Slide the brake drum/hub back onto the spindle

Put the inner wheel bearing nut on tight (~50 Ft/Lbs), spin the hub to make sure it's seated all of the way, then back the nut off a little, and get it just barely snug

Then you put the lock washer in. This step can be frustrating. On the lockwasher there is a key on the inside to keep it from turning on the spindle, and a little metal pin sticking out from the flat side. The pin faces the inner wheelbearing nut. You have to turn the inner wheelbearing nut back and forth a tiny bit at a time untill you can get the pin on the lockwasher to drop into one of the holes on the inner wheelbearing nut so that the washer sits flat on the nut.

Then you put on the outer wheelbearing nut, torqueing it to ~90 FT/Lbs (maybe a little more, i can't remember right now)

Slide the axleshaft back in, and bolt it back in place.

Put your tire back on

3. mudslinger99

Well that sounds easy enough :) But is there some type of clip that holds the axle shaft in place ? Or after you remove the 8 outer bolts it just slides out by grabbing it with your hand ? What about the positioning of the axle shaft will it only go in 1 way or should you mark the way it comes out ? How do you know if you got the axle shaft re-installed right ? If the drum wont come off and you have to turn the brake adjuster thru the hole is it a star bit or allen ? Sorry for all the questions but this 14 bolt stuff is kinda new to me... Thank you for the reply and the information you provided it is very helpful...

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The brake adjuster is just like any other drum brake. They make a "spoon" to turn the adjuster but a flat blade screw driver works. There is a star shaped wheel that you put the screwdriver under a tip of the star and rotate it until the drum comes off. Also If you can use dana 60 front 4 prong nuts with the locking washer with the pin instead of the bending star they are easier to get on and off and you only need to have one hub nut socket vice two.

5. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nope, no clip to hold the axle shaft in place, it will slide right out. Also, don't worry about positioning the axleshaft, it's not keyed or anything. Just slide it back in and bolt it on.

6. mudslinger99

I sure thank you for the info... What type of manual ''book'' were you reffering to ? Is it just for the 14 bolt or is it a Clymer or Chilton for chevy trucks ? I would like to get 1 for further refference.... Thanks for the reply.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

8. mudslinger99

Thanks for the links very helpful.... :D