Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Aug 22, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

i bought a 14 bolt ff a couple days ago...took the cover off today to see if it had a gov lock...

this is what i saw ...a huge ring gear in the center with something very heavy bolted to the back of it which had large holes in the end that go only part way into it...to the left and the right i saw two large bolts and a small one in the center with some sort of thick wire like retainer...

i know nothing about the workings of these things but it my guess that its not a gov lock

is there a way to confirm the ratio now that i have it apart? the seller told me they were 4.10's

i did notice some surface rust on a few teeth but none were chipped and the oil had a slight rust tint...it didnt bother me cause i'll probably throw a detroit in there

any feedback is more than welcome...i am venturing into untravelled territory here lol

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The large holes that you refer to that only go part way in, count them. If there are three of them it is a gov-loc, if there are 4 it is an open carrier. You have to have an open carrier if you want to install a Detroit locker. Around the outside edge of the large ring gear there will be some numbers like 41 10. Divide the larger by the smaller, in this case it would be 4.10:1. 41 11 is 3.73:1 and 41 9 is 4.56:1.

Hope this helps.

Mike