Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 BOLT FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I have a bad 10bolt(the housing is actually BENT) I have been looking for a 12 bolt for a wile now or even 10 bolts but haven’t really found much and if I get a 10/12 bolt its gotta have 3.73's or lower which seems to be pretty rare. After looking around the classifys here I sal some 14bolts with 3.73's or 4.10's for like $150 and it seems to be kinnda make me want one of those (always been against the weight) ANYWAYS what im asking is is there a difference in the 14bolts? I no there’s a SF and FF but are 3/4 and 1 ton the same and are the 2wd's the same?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The 3/4 and 1 ton have the spring perches in a slightly different location. You want the 3/4 ton version. Not sure about the 2 wheel drive version but somebody here will.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Other than the spring perch locations between the 3/4 and 1 tons, the other differences between a 2wd and 4wd version of the 3/4 ton 14FF are the shock mounts.
    2wd mounts sit lower than the 4wd mounts. Around 3" lower or so.
    Should not matter which you find. Either will work just fine. Just have to watch out for which one you find and get the proper length of shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just have to watch out for which one you find and get the proper length of shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or cut and re-weld your shock mounts higher up like I did. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. thatK30guy

Yeah, you could do that...but I prefer to use the longer mounts, if it is the 2wd rear.
    Reason to use the longer 2wd mounts is the same as using the Ford shock towers up front...to gain longer travel shockes. Having that extra 3" will allow you to use a longer shock as you would install those with the Ford towers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But if you play in the rocks those mounts just become 2 additional anchors to get hung on. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm doing that change over right now and made a set of spring perches and shock mount that I'll be welding on, the 14FF has an open diff that you can drop a locker in for about $325.00, check out my link to see all the work I'm doing on it...

8. thatK30guy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if you play in the rocks

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, a big if to that answer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif