Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Feb 11, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

I have a question about a 14 bolt ff. I want to swap a 14 ff into my 87 blazer that now has the 10 bolts and 3.42's. I found a 14ff for a good price, but I know that you need to move the spring perches, and maybe even the shock mounts. My questions are:
    How exactly is this done? (Pictures would be great.)
    Is it hard to do?
    I dont know how to weld, but I may know someone who does. If I dont know anyone, can a shop do this?
    Also, what would the price of the spring perch and shock mount relocation be?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

First of all, tell us this....did the 14 bolt come from a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck? If so, then there's no reason to answer any of your questions because it will be a DIRECT bolt-in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. AK-5GUY

I dont know yet, let me find out and get back to you.

4. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Got my 14BFF from a '75 3/4T truck and during the install I never even laid a hand or even looked at, for that matter, my welder! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

driveshaft and u joints size may be the only issue, distance from centerlineof axle assembly up to the yoke is different from 10 bolt to 14 bolt and u joints are alot bigger on 14 bolt

good luck

6. AK-5GUY

Actually I checked, and the 14 bolt did come out of a 3/4 ton so there shouldn't be a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Don't you just hate it when you arent sure about something and just make up you mind about it and are completely wrong? That's what I did. I was almost completely sure it was off of a 1 ton. Sorry guys. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Harrison