Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt for Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gassman, Aug 24, 2000.

1. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Got my self a 14 Bolt FF from my work.[​IMG] It came out of a Two wheel drive 3/4 ton Chevy pick-up. Question to you all is the spring pads are 45" outside to outside and my 71 K-5 blazers pads are 42" outside and outside.[​IMG] Will this axle work for me if I move pads or is axle to wide for my Blazer. Don't know year of truck because all that is left is frame and running gear. Numbers on ring gear are 3977 342. Also am putting 4" or 6" lift under Blazer so should I turn axle up a little. How in this done. How do you know how much angle you are putting on axle. Thank's for any help you guys can give. <font color=red>USE YOUR RIGHTS OR LOSE YOUR RIGHTS JOIN BLUERIBBON COOLITION </font color=red>

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Found it, dang, that post had moved WAY down.

I'll measure mine when I get home tonight. I don't see any reason that it won't work, providing you move the spring pads. Could it have been a 1-ton 2wd truck? That would make sence on the funky width OR there is a difference betwwen the 1st gen and 2nd gen blazer frames.

Like I said, I'll measure when I get home and let you know.

Kyle
    89K5

BTW, don't get too upset, I've had to repost a couple of times, with 1200 users, maybe 600 don't know and by the time there through posting there stuff, the other 600 can't find this one. No sweat brother, bad feelings mean bad Karma. [​IMG]

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It should work if you relocate the spring pads. Should be the same width hub to hub. From that #, I assume it has 3.42 gears. If you want a set of 4.10 gears to put in it, I have a used set that I'd sell real cheap.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Rod

On your last question, I plan on fabbing a set of spring pads like Depdog did on his 12-bolt. I'll also be using a CV style rear driveshaft with my 14-bolt so the way I've seen to set up the pinion angle is to bolt the axle up to the springs and use a jack and angle finder to jack the pinion up to the right angle (about 1-2 degrees below straight with the shaft) then put a couple of tack welds on the pads. Then remove the axle and weld it up good. I'm sure there are other ways but I think this should work.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think the newer ones may be an inch or two longer, flange to flange. That would be OK, since the rear axles are narrower on these trucks to start with. Shouldn't cause any problem at all.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350