Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Front Axle????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k10clown, Mar 7, 2005.

1. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

Can you use a GM 14 bolt for a front axle? I have heard that you can. If you can how would it be done? If this is a real strong rear axle why not make it for the front.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its been done . but ground clearence sucks big time. and he said he wouldnt do it again. he just had parts laying around and threw them to gether . looked sweet but less ground clearence than 60 frt.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

K5MONSTERCHEV did that to one of his rigs. Check the link in his profile.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you can use a ff14b center section, but since it has no means of steering you need to use everything else from a different steering axle. Unless you are blowing up D60 R&Ps or something, its not really worth doing.

j

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Everything from the D60 "inner C" and out, custom shafts and figure out how to seal the fluid in the center chunk and yer golden.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

along those lines, i'd like a 14ff rear steering axle

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

get yourself an AAM 9.5" out of a new Dodge. AAM is today's Corporate axle maker. I basically have a 14 bolt in the front of my tow rig :blush:

8. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

take the 14 center chunk and a 2.5 ton front and mate them. Steve gerstner of differential engineering did deuce/dana 80 hybrid. You can have the stock rock shafts splined to the 14 side gear and hardened. to mate the tubes you can either bevel and make many many passes or flange and bolt on (hey, it works for the monster trucks). Rocks are cheap. The downfall of them is that they don't like water with their unsealed kingpins, joint caps and spindles (water can walk right into the hub. Very strong for cheap, though. If you had some tooling and some fab skills, hop right in. Strong rear steer with no crazy high ride height for the tall rock 3rd sticking up there.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I thought it was 9.25", and used the same gears as the Chevy 2500/3500 IFS center sections.:confused:

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thats what I plan to do.

Heres a couple pics of mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh its not done. I wanted to finish it over the summer, but im just finishing school at the moment. There were a few threads about this, but I couldnt find them after we switched servers (or whatever we did). Its retubed with some FAT tubes, same ID as a 60, but fatter OD then a 14bff, with my caster and pinion set. Same WMS as a 60. Alot of guys didnt like it, but I dont care.

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

it may be a 9.25"

brb to post what I find in a search.......

looks like the 9.25 is being used in the 05 Power wagon but I haven't found anything on the HD's just yet.........brb

general stuff I have read says the HD's have 9.5" front's

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As brought up earlier in this thread, how did you seal the gear oil in the diff?
    The D60 has seals inside the carrier, with a 14ff the axles spin the gear oil through the axle tubes to lubricate the rear hubs/ wheel bearings..

Stuff a rag in each side? :grin:

13. blacksheep10

I believe that they cut a seal land when the tubes are out. He said he put some "fat" tubes in, while the chunk and tubes were floating solo, you go to a machine shop with your seal and shaft. My question is what did you do on shafts? did you go chromo of a custom diameter (like Camo's 2") and have some side gears made or your broached? I honestly can't see a 60 axle shaft holding up in a rear steer application without chromos and ctm's.

14. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

Could you point me towards some of the cheap rockwells? All of em I`ve seen for sale have been kind of pricey.

15. blacksheep10

Cheap compared to a 60, that is. I just can't see cutting up a 60 for the outer parts and then having custom shafts made.
    Rocks go for around $600 on the low side to $750 on the high side around here. They can be a little tricky to find on occasion. I just picked up 2 U-joint fronts and 2 rears for $1350. Last summer they were everywhere ('03). was getting u-joint fronts for $565 all day long, as many as you wanted. A guy I run with says that he can get brand new fronts, never ran, never painted for $8 apiece on the pallot out of florida, but we will see if that ever pans out of not:o

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

AAM has been GM's axle maker for a long time. I cracked off the cover of a '91 K5 and found AAM logos on the gaskets. ;)

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, with some duct tape!

Well i havent decided wheter to run seals inside the diff, like in the adjusters, or in the outside of the tubes like a Dana 30. Shafts, its $350 for custom inners, whatever I want. Oh I didnt cut up a 60, I bought the stuff of a guy. If I were to cut a 60 (which I was thinking about) I was going to get a HP and retube it to the passenger side, WAAAAAY cheaper then a custom HP unit, only a couple hundred bucks.

18. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

man its beautiful

you left the front diff in the center , how did the tranfercase and front drive shaft take it? have you been thru alot of front shafts? where did you get your outer stuff to make this conversion...and 1 more question,actually 2...how did you get 14" of lift or however much it is and what size tires are you running...that looks like what i want mine to look like...drop me some names or/and info, PLEASE!

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The bigger question is this... Did it ever get completed? I just see air in those pics where the steering U-joints should be. :confused: The front driveshaft also seems to be invisible... :rolleyes: