Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt front????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

currently I am going through a 14bff and putting 4:56 in it. after getting down to the brakes I discovered that it is an early (72 and down) rearend) so after all the hassle of getting the wrong wheel cylinders several times, I come to find that I have to weld new perches on /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, not hard, cutting the old ones off, hard /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. my buddys dad told me that he had a 14bff out of a military blazer with 4:56's that I could have /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. He then told me he knows of a guy who will pull out the axle tubes out of the case( early model) and jig in some new front axle tubes thus converting it to a front 14bolt /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. anyone know if that is possible? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifwould that work with the gears the way they are cut? oh yeh he said it would cost well under a thousand dollars, I don't know but that would be cool if it was possible /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

cant remember the company's name, but if yuou search around for a bit you will find, that there is already a company making these 14bolt front ends, so yes it is possible....

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will work, and it has been done. The gears will run on the coast side, but every non-high-pinion front axle's gears run on the coast side, it's not as strong as running on the drive side but it works fine. Only real problems that I see is the expense that suitably huge outers will run you, plus the custom inner shafts taht you will need. Also, the 14b FF is a rock anchor in the rear, it would be even worse in the front since you'd be hooking stuff on the flat side of it. </font color>

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That'd turn a few heads huh?

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you want an indestructible front axle, just get a 2.5 ton front end. Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. TablerockToy

TablerockToy Newbie

The good thing about a 14 is it would be bullit proof and you can shave the crap out of it which helps, but if your runnin rocks I think youd need to run 40inch or bigger tires to make it worth your while!

CJ

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

right now my 44 is sufficiant, but if I can get those tubes jigged in for under a grand and slowly start buying shafts,outers, and so forth, I'll have a bad a$$ front axle. just to get a 60 to start with would cost about $1300.00 let alone what the rebuilding would cost, switching to chevy outers if needed, and so on. coming up with that kind of dough at once is hard, saving that up is impossible for me, and even if when I do get that kind of money at once it goes to neccesitys not toys. I don't do much rock stuff so clearence isn't that big of a deal for myself /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif