Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt full floater

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cocky, Mar 9, 2000.

1. cocky

cocky Registered Member

A few posts down there is one about moser axle shafts. In this post it says that the 14 bolt has alot of drawbacks. If anybody could give me some info on any bad things about this axle i would appreciate it. I thought they were a really good axle. The reason i ask is i was thinking about putting one under my 70 k5. Also is a dana 60 a good choice for a strong front end or should i just do an 8lug conversion on my dana44. Thanks for the info.

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

The bad part is the size and weight! They are 200lbs heavier than a 10-bolt and over two inches lower at the bottom of the diff. Other than that they are super-beefy and in a lot of cases, are overkill! If you're running big tires (over 35") and big horsepower, than you may need them but otherwise, alot of other axles will do the job.

The exception in my case (I plan to run one too) is if you plan to tow with big tires. My Blazer when finished will run 300 HP/400 ft-lbs and have 36" tires. I also plan to tow a 6000lb travel trailer so I want the extra beef of the 14-bolt for piece of mind. If you don't plan on towing, you could probably get away with the smaller axles.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

3. Norm

Norm Registered Member

I just finished a 14 bolt swap in an 83 blazer(broken ring gear on the 12 bolt). I used an axle out of a 76, and it was pretty much a bolt in except for the driveline length and yoke size. The 14 bolt is much heavier (~550lbs) and you will lose a little ground clearance compared to a 12 bolt. I think the 69-72 axles where wider and had wider spring perches, so check your measurements before you buy. As far as your 44 front end, you can probably do a couple of upgrades for the cost of a Dana 60, but the Dana 60 is much stronger.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think the drawbacks are Weight, larger pumpkin (lower ground clearance), and new wheels and tires.

I have been spending some money on my 12 bolt here lately. I know my 12 bolt will never be the strength of a 14 bolt, but It works for me. The Dana60 is alot stronger than the Dana44 so if you have a choice, go with the 60.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

10vs12vs14

fairly stock 89 with 33's. don't wheel as much as i should, but i wheel the hell out of it when i do. bordering on loving abuse. when the 33's wear out (damn 70,000 mile tires) i want to lift it ever-so-slightly, and stuff in some 35's or 36's. with the larger tires negating the loss of ground clearance, is a twelve bolt the good choice? i saw the posts regarding drive line length and yoke and what-not with a fourteen bolt. my wheels would also have to be replaced, due to the different bolt pattern, i assume. it just seems like a big investment in overkill, but i'd rather not realize my mistake half-way up a hill.
    i hope this doesn't seem to be a repeat of the original request, but i'm getting nervous about all this 'weak 10 bolt' talk.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

It was my post and MUDZER hit the nail on the head. It is gut strong and a great axle, just lots of drawbacks FOR ME!

No problems at all that I have ever heard of with the axle.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Re: 10vs12vs14

If you went from a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt, you would not have to change wheels, they are both 6 lug. The full floater 14 bolt and some of the 3/4 ton 14 bolts are 8 lug. The 10 has had lots of problems in the rear. If you could get a 12 cheap with the same ratio, I would say go for it. If you have to spend big bucks to upgrade to a 12, might just want to work on the 10.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Delta9,

Dude, I run 35" meats on my 12bolt and so far so good.(knock on wood). I read in 4x4 Power that they said the 12bolt max should be no more than 35", so you should be fine with them when you swap them in.
    Boss

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Check out the "10-bolt beef" series at 4x4review.com. It has some good articles on beefing the 10 bolt.

10. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I plan to swap in a set of 3/4 axles in my 70 blazer. I have a new set of wheels. I have been told I can get a set of hubs for the 14 bolt FF rear to make it 6 lug, then change the front to six lug by swapping knuckes. Is there any heavier parts in a 3/4 Dana 44, or is it the same? Any one heard of this? I would like to keep my Welds, but have the strength of a 14 bolt.

11. Marlboro

Marlboro Registered Member

Here is another option for you. Go to a Junk Yard and find a Jeep J-20 Rear End. They all used Dana 60's in em, can pick em up reasonably if you can find one. In the process of doing this with mine. Putting a D60 in the front out of a Chevy Dually, and a D60 Out of the back of a jeep. I will do a picture write up on what I had to do to make it all go smoothly. Still checking into the axle lengths and ujoint compatibility, but it shouldn't be TOOOO difficult (I Hope..hehe)

Regards
    Mike