Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt gear setup heelp needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by icehole, Apr 15, 2002.

1. icehole

icehole Registered Member

all the ring and pinion shops tell me to use a 20,000th shim for the pinion depth. i tried that and checked the pattern, way off. the best i have been able to come up with is at 6,000th shim..the 20 leaves the pattern way out on the face of the tooth but centered toe to heel,,the 6,000th is centered pretty good face and flank, but its way to the toe or inside and the coast doesnt change much..could they be wrong or is it me??what size shim did anyone else use??? 14 bolt 10.5 ring gear 5.13 thick gear......help..

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.differentials.com>www.differentials.com</a> and check out the tech/specs pages for some good info on tooth patterns.

3. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

dont take this the wrong way but 20,000ths is refered to as .020" .... 100,000ths would be .100" and 1,000 would be .001

as far as the shim goes, you need to look at a set up sheet that came with some aftermarket gears. It will describe how to interpret the pattern you see.

What is your backlash?

Just trying to help, please dont get offended, I would never try to be a jerk about tech. stuff ; )

4. icehole

icehole Registered Member

yeagh im not sure what i was thinking when i wrote that...thanks guys i got it together and woking fine...