Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt gear swap writeup?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Anyone done a write up on 14bolt FF gear swaps?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/gearinstall.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/gearinstall.shtml</A>

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. BadDog

BTW, I'll tackle almost anything myself (if I'm in the mood and have time) from frame and body work, suspension, complete engine rebuilds, auto/manual tranny rebuilds, electrical work, you name it. I'll even do brake work as bad as I hate it. The one thing I'm not fooling with are gear setups. You can spend hours and hours installing, disassembling, changing shims, busting knuckles, cursing, etc. just trying to get the right pattern. That accomplished, there is no way (that I know of) to set the right backlash without expensive tools that I have no desire to own.

Off road only, a shade-tree job might work out ok if you take your time. If you're driving it on the highway regularly, take it to a shop unless you know what your doing (given that you asked about a write-up, I'm guessing you don't).

Bad Dog

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have done swaps on piles of 9"s D44's Heep junk axles....just never a GM axle. The prospect of it dosent scare me in the least. That writeup is fine as an overview (reminds me of a peterson article) I need to know torque specs ect

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

5. BadDog

Ahh, well, good luck. Can't help you there then. If you know what your doing, more power to you. Many people just don't realize what a job it is to set up a diff...

Bad Dog

6. BadDog

Well, I should have checked your bio before I replied. At least then I would have known not to assume that you didn't know what you were getting into. I need to get in the habit of checking those. I'm new to the board, never fooled with one until recently. Anyway, when I saw a request for a "write up" I just assumed (yeah, I know) that you were looking for a "how to" guide.

Sorry for the lecture.

Bad Dog