Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt gear Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 8, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

would I be able to take everything from one 14 bolt and put it exactly the same way in another 14 bolt and will it be the same as before such as the backlash, etc.....

I grabbed a 3:73 geared 14 bolt from the junkyard but I was unaware that you needed the bigger carrier for 4:56's and up. I was going to buy some new gears and a master bearing and seal kit. But know since I needed a bigger carrier I might as well see if I can find a stock 4:56's and switch it out.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can get 4.56 thick gears to work with the carrier you have now.

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Oh really, 4 wheel parts said I needed the larger carrier. Idiots!! Whats is the reason there is two different sizes. Smaller for 4:10 and down and bigger 4:56 and up? Is there a strength difference or something and what would the advantages of going to the bigger be as opposed to the smaller one?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gears are cheaper for the 4.10-and-down carrier... so go with that one. You don't want to buy "thin" 4.88s or 5.13s for the 4.56s-and-up carrier, they are expensive as hell because that carrier is less common and the volume of gears are relatively low. Get the 4.10-and-down and run the thick gears. The carriers are physically different with respect to a few measurements, but you hardly ever hear of someone blowing up a ff14b carrier... don't worry about it unless you're going to be running a blown 502 with NOS and 52" michelin tires or something. Anything short of that and the ff14b carrier will be just fine, thick or thin.

j

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

You said it all right there. I would not reccomend using their gearsets, "Genuine Gear", they are not a good quality gearset. Call a place like West Coast Differentials, 800-510-0950, (some people here prefer Randys) and get some good parts.

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

sounds good. thanks everyone

7. jekbrown

yeah, what those other guys said... avoid Genuine Gear at all costs. They are probably the worst gears sold in America. Gear tech has pretty much been figured out, it ain't rocket science... but for some reason GG has some issues. If I had to guess, they are probably cutting corners in order to corner the low end market with hella cheap prices. No thanks, I'll take some yukons or spicers or superiors or...or...

j

8. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I thought Genuine gear were life time warranted, shouldn't that count for something

9. jekbrown

GGs need a lifetime warranty cause they are going to break if abused. GGs aren't going to be much less expensive than Yukons will be from a different place than 4wpw and they will be better gears.

j

10. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

sounds good I will look for some yukons then.

11. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

well this is all good to here since i just ripped out my carrier and are about to install some genuine gears from 4 wp ... they are about another 120$ cheaper from yukon that and another 100 from superior when i called around for price quotes .... damnit i dont know what i will do now ... anyone actually have personal experience with them good or bad?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  12. K5MONSTERCHEV

I have personal experience setting them up and like most have said, they are junk. Gears arent a place to cut corners. Pony up and pay a few extra bucks for a quality gear set.