Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt going bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

O.K. so here is my problem. I recently put in a 14 bolt. Before I installed it I checked the pinion to see how much I could spin it before it stopped and it was very minimal. Maybe 1/4 inch or so. The other day I was driving in D and I heard a clunk it my rear end when I came to a stop. I switch it to OD and nothing. Then I switch it back to D and there it was again. I got under the truck when I got home and spun my driveshaft with the tranny in N and the damn thing spins about 1/4 TURN. What the he?? is happening? I s my pinion bearing going bad? The only time it does it is when it's in D. I also notice it when I put it in gear from park. Please help me out here. If it is the bearing, how expensive is it to get done. I don't want to deal with setting up the gears( basically cause I don't know how[​IMG]).

When I went through the axle when I first got it I basically took it all apart except the pinion. I didn't take it out. The gears didn't have any signs of excessive wear or grooves. I also installed a detroit in it. I'm just trying to give every bit of info I can about the axle so It's easier for you guys to help me out. Thanks for all your help and knowledge guys!!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

mine does it too!! for example, you are cruising down the street about 30 mph and there is a stop sign ahead. you start to slow and as you do, the tranny (700r4) starts downshift, and when it shifts to the lower gears-CLUNK....i have driven it like this for about 4 months, so i aint to worried about.

i think mine may be the slip-yoke-heres why--i lowered my t-case to a total of 1.75 inches to cure my vibe. when i did, the t-case (241) linkage needed adjusted because it would make this loud popping sound on the floor boards. when i went under to adjust it, i noticied that it was binding up-the t-case was pulling against the linkage and partially engaging. not enough to actually spin the front d-shaft, but enough that that the front d-shaft would not spin ny hand. i was looking around and started moving the front d-shaft back and forth and noticed that it would spin the chain and the rear output and what do you know.....the same clunk!! now, the rear d-shaft didnt move, so that rules out the ring and pinion....this slop is probably the cause of my 55-65 mph vibration since my u-joint angle is near perfect.

this may sound confusing, but my truck has 160000+ miles and quite a few of them have been rough. the yoke is also the only part of my drivetrain that hasnt been replaced. i hope this helps..

BTW- i dont have a detroit, but i do have a gov-lock, and it is badass!!! i can smoke both of the 35's on dry pavement and the black marks are the same length!! i am totally impressed with it!! this clunk wasnt there before, and i know that locking diffs, esp. detroits, really makes wear that was there before alot more noticeable. i amgoing to replace my yoke and go from there...

later rob

AIRBORNE!!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Detroit Lockers clunk. They have around 36 degrees of pinion gear rotation between the drive and coast mode. Shifting between reverse and drive will usually result in a pretty good bang from the driveshaft.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Esteban86K5

Do they really[​IMG]. I didn't know it would be that much. How do I confirm that is what's happening?

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

got that too, i can kinda control it by making sure the rpm's are down before shipping, and shifting fast. i am still pretty sure mine is the yoke

AIRBORNE!!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a pointer to how to check your Detroit Locker for proper operation, as well as some info on the noises to expect. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractech.com/tech_tips.htm>http://www.tractech.com/tech_tips.htm</A>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I will second Harry's words. They Detroit does allow for some 'play' which is very normal. I have built several 14FF's with new Detroits and checked the yoke for the play and they were like the Tractech manual says.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

8. Esteban86K5

O.K. so now I'm a little more at ease about the whole clunking noise. I had never seen the "drive to coast" part anywhere.
    Now another question is why does this only happen in drive and not over-drive? I haven't tried it in any other gear yet.
    Also does this add excessive wear to other components from the frequent jolt it gives? Just want to know what to expect.
    Thanks again for all the info guys, you just saved me from paying some shop to tell me that my detroit is working properly.

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

In drive the trans shifts differently it locks up harder almost like its in towing mode it should down shift harder to .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s