Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt - Gov Loc Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Feb 22, 2002.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to swap a 14 bolt in place of my 12 bolt. I know I need one of a 3/4 ton truck so the spring perches will be in the right location, and I understand the FF is preferred over the SF. I also know to stay away from the Gov Lock, so my question is, how will I recognize the Gov Lock from a non-Gov Lock rear? ANy other info I should know??? Thanks BIG TIME!

Project Manager: 1975 K5 HD

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Pop the cover and check the number of holes in the carrier. The Gov-Loc will have 3 pins, and an open carrier will have 4. Not sure if the old trick of spinning a wheel with both off the ground will work for the Gov-Loc. If it does, both wheels will spin the same direction. A normal open diff will spin in opposite directions.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The Gov-Lock will have a 3 way cross in it, while a open carrier will have a 4 way cross. As you look at it you will be able to see the ends of the cross the same way you can see the ends of the center pin on a 12 bolt carrier, just count them and that will tell you.

Also, most of the time (not always) a Gov-Lock can be identified by a black rectangular sticker on the cover. It's usually hard to see due to being covered by dirt / undercoat or just simply gone due to exposure.

Good luck!

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rodzilla & Nvrenuf,
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the replies. I've got a lead on a cheap 3/4 14B and now I'll know whether to bring it home or not.
    Sam

Project Manager: 1975 K5 HD

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A gov loc will spin in opposite directions just like an open diff

1989 blazer, 383 stroker, 4.56 geared and detroit locked D44 front and 14BFF rear