Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt gov-loc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jan 4, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

need pros and cons. I have a 4.10 gov-loc unit but Im running 4.56 gears. So I've thought about getting the 4.10 fit 4.56 gear set and installing the gov-loc, but I'd hate to spend that doe and then later on down the line decide that I want to go to a detroit. But I'd still have the old 4.56 gears I could use or I could get a 4.10 sized detroit and use the new gears.
    So I have options here. SO I'm wanting to know the pros and cons of the 14 bolt gov. I'v heard it is alot stronger than the 10 bolt ones, but dont want to waste my time and money on it if Im gonna end up replacing it anyway. You all see where Im trying to go with this?

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I have very limited experiences with the 14 bolt gov lock units, but the experience I do have has been bad.

My brother has a 3/4 ton sub. with a gov lock (well, had a gov lock). The only nice thing about his situation, was that only the gov-lock was destroyed. Basically, his diff became an open differential after the gov lock exploded.

He has only gone 4 wheeling twice in it, so it was definitely not abused and it still let go. I would persionally save the $$ on the new gear set and get a detroit.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My GL works fine. As long as it has the posi-lube in it, it works fine. Tires even chirp and bark when turning corners at a slower speed. [​IMG]

Now if you do not want to use the GL, and not want to replace the carrier, get the Powertrax Lock Right. They have them in both the 4-pin and 3-pin spider gear carriers and will replace your GL very easily. Doing this is exactly the same as installing a Detroit Locker. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

I would have to say go with the Detroit... thats what I run in my 14FF and it has never missed a beat. They are also RELATIVELY cheap. The Detroits for the 14-bolt are only like $350 which is roughly the same price as most LSDs.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats what I was thinking but I have this gov-loc just laying in the floor. Thought I might try to use it since I have it but I may go ahead and try to sell it.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Wes,
    Do you have to Powertrax Part #? I looked on their web site last weekend, and they did not list it. I always wondered why Detroit did not make a 3 pin. For as many broken Gov-locs as there are, I think it would sell fairly well.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I did have the part number but just can't seem to find it anywhere on my messy desk. [​IMG]

I do remember seeing the part number some website, too. Just can't remember if it was the Powertrax site or not. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>