Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Gov-lok goes clunk?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EricM, Jun 18, 2001.

1. EricM

EricM Registered Member

I just put a 14 bolt w/ a gov-loc from a 79 1 ton into my 72 Jimmy. Everything worked great for two weeks until I went wheeling. On the way home I noticed a clunk in the rear every now and then, it kept getting worse. I feared the worst but when I pulled the cover today there were no metal peices floating around and everything looks O.K. but the fliud was full of water.

Will the gov-lok make a clunking soud if there was a lot of water in there? I am thinking maybe it will becuase it would dilute the limited slip additive. What exactly does that additive do?

Thanks, Eric M

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The additive has some special formula to make the clutches work properly.

My 85 K30 has the same Gov-Lock like you do. When I first bought the truck, I assumed the clutches were worn out. But when I went ahead and changed the fluid, I went ahead and put in 2 tubes of posi-lube additive and VOILA! The dang thing worked again! I put 2 tubes in because of the massive size of the rear and the amount of oil it holds.

Now adays, when I go driving and turn corners, the tires are barking and chirping. This is evidence that the Gov-Lock is working fine!!! [​IMG]

As for the water, you may check your vent tube at the top of the dif. housing. It could be cracked or the rubber line missing causing water to seep into the housing. Water will not, however, make the Gov-Lock perform less. It just turns the water to a different color and "lessens" the oils performance.

Check the vent tube and plug.
    Put 2 tubes or bottles of additive in.
    Top off with 80/90 weight oil.
    Drive around and let it work itself.

Good luck.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine does the same thing, but it's a semi-floating 14 bolt. You really think the posi lube will help it work again? It works sometimes, but other times it just clicks and clunks and spins one tire.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Put another tube or bottle in it. I did that at first. With one tube, it still didnt do anything. So I went ahead and put a second in it. MAN!!! That thing came alive after that! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>