Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt Gross Axle Weight Rating??? GAWR

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mcinfantry, Aug 12, 2004.

1. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

how much weight can it handle??? iirc my front 60 is rated for 4200lbs continuous

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6,000lbs single wheel, 7,500lbs dual wheel is what they are rated for. You can read the factory specs in the sales brochures here- http://brochures.slosh.com/

3. mcinfantry

thanks. im trying to GUESS what i can tow safely. i think maybe 8000-10000. i read, but did not verify that the 4bt was supposed to be a 14000gvw powerplant. so minus my 6500lb truck is 7500..... i figure i have the wheelbase, and brakes for that much at least. (im talking gooseneck, NOT bumper)

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Going by those brochures, the 14FF is rated for 7500lbs if its from a C20 crewcab, or any 1-ton (SRW or DRW). Seems strange... I can't believe a 2" difference in perch width (vs. 3/4-ton) is good for another 1500lbs??? Maybe the 7500lb housings have thicker tubes? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    im trying to GUESS what i can tow safely. i think maybe 8000-10000

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be overshooting. The 3.9L Cummins came in mostly 1-ton rated vehicles, like a GM P-30 w/10000lb GVW. If the engine itself is good for 14000lbs, lets assume that to be a GCWR (truck & trailer) with maximum axle ratio (say 4.56) and normal-sized tires.

That brochures page has a few GCWR charts. After you figure out your effective axle ratio with normal tires, you're probably down to 10-12000 lb GCWR. Subtract the 6500lb truck, and you're left with 3500-5500lbs trailer weight.

I've made a couple of strong assumptions though. You could try calling a GM dealer and see if they have the trailering info for the P-series vans. Those brochures indicate the 3.9 Cummins was available in '91 as rpo code 'LST'. Also, the 'JB8' code indicates a 10,000lb GVW brake system... the same as what the D60 and 1-ton 14ff have.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Going by those brochures, the 14FF is rated for 7500lbs if its from a C20 crewcab, or any 1-ton (SRW or DRW). Seems strange... I can't believe a 2" difference in perch width (vs. 3/4-ton) is good for another 1500lbs??? Maybe the 7500lb housings have thicker tubes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The axle weight ratings in the brochures are normally limited by the tires that come on the truck, not the design of the axle. A SRW truck normally has 2 E rated tires at about 3000 lb capacity per tire (depending on the size of the tire). Even the dually ratings are probably limited by the tires, and not the design of the axle. SRW and dually axles are the same except for the spring perches and/or hubs as we all know. If you can get enough tire under it, the axle is probably rated for more than 7500lb.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well if you think thats odd then how abvout this one

there were 6 different 12 bolts ranging from 2900lbs up to 3600lbs, 3500 were in the pickups

weight rating of the axle is of the axle itself, minus springs, frame, tires, etc.

tires and springs and frame can only handcle so much, if you put too low of rating of those componenets on then its pointless ot have such a high axle max load rating

7. mcinfantry

im load range "e" tires. 4520lbs per tire @80psi. i have a similar post in tow section, but here im getting more replies?

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Well... I'm not a paying member so I can't post anywhere else /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif These other guys don't have an excuse! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The tires don't determine the axle rating. The axle is engineered for a certain rating, but its up to you to put the right tires on to take advantage of it.

Moreover, the axle rating doesn't affect towing capacity. It does affect GVWR, and the truck is put together so the engine/trans/t-case doesn't put out more torque than the axle can handle.