Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need an opinion. I have a woble at the rear wheel when spinning at freeway speeds. you can see the center hub and axle wobble when spinning in the air. It is not a bent axle tube, I have deduced that and nothing is loose. so as to opinions the parts store says replace the bearings but I am thinking it is going to be whole Hub. the assy came from a junk yard and so I am not sure the history on the parts. could the bearings be out of roand causing it? would they not make noise or be loose? how posible is it to warp a Hub on a rear 14ff?

thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Are you sure that the bearings are not the cause?

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my first guess would be the wheel bearings. Ive heard of people fubaring the hubs when they destroyed the bearings but I think its pretty hard to warp one. I know several people including me that have chewed up the bearings pretty bad without hurting the hub but it is possible.

4. ssped

I had to have the drums turned when I picked up the axle. they were pretty warped. I am now rethinking the fact that the hub mught have been warped and the drum fine. would not a bad bearing have signs of an issue with it? IE loose or something? I just dont want to put bearings in a bad hub. I have a bore mic. I could probably measure the races.

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

Do you know if they took the drums off the hubs to turn them ?
    if so , then its possible that the drum and hub are not completely seated together.
    i would also find out if the bearings have been replaced , its possible
    that they did not seat a race properly.

6. ssped

They turned them on the hubs so they are true to the drums. I am going to replace the bearings and races tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. it was a used diff from a junk yard so who knows what was done or is wrong. I have never seen bearing failure this way. I also just picked up a new set of premium Warn hubs to do the front 8 lug conversion. I will have that done this weekend too. (with new Bearings) should be a succesfull weekend.