Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt in a daily driver? Posser wheeler inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 15, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I got my silver truck here, thinking about lifting it and putting on 35's. I have a line on some 3/4 ton stuff, but I'm thinking I might build a 12bolt for the rear because of the weight of the 14bolt. This is a DD and weekend posser (no real offroading, some mud, and feild hopping in the fall).
    Any benifits of a 14bolt worth the extra weight? Front is 8 lug but can swap hubs to 6 lug for free so it will match the 12bolt 6lug. Plus I can put an auburn in the 12bolt and I cant the 14bolt! All I would have to buy us 12bolt 4.10 gears.

Thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dude its peice of mind. i know i can stomp on it with my 36" TSLS and not hurt ne thing! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif and detroits are cheap for it and hella fun

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

mine's gonna be a DD/light wheeler on 35's and it has a 14B/D60. Love the peace of mind! That and tons of 14B axles are already 4.10. Just drop a $350 detroit in there and call it good!

4. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

14 bolt and locker....best mod ever!

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

No locker here, I do highway driving in deep snow!
    I use to commute 650 miles a week, might be that way again soon (I Hope /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).
    I may just toss in the 14bolt with a gov-gov lock and see what happens.
    What limited slips are avaliable for 14bolts?

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So Is a locker bad for snow? wet pavement? Ice?

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

there are no limited slips for a 14boltFF when it comes to 14B FF's you have 4 choices OPEN GOV-LOCK DETROIT OR WELD. I would say the best choice is a detroit but I have a govlock in mine now and like it but I have heard there not to strong

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

your govloc IS a limited slip /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I don't see what purpose a locker serves on a DD, except to screw things up. A gov lock or other type of limited slip is MORE than enough for the road. If you're going to have a locker on a daily driver, it better be selectable. Lockers spell danger in rain and BIG danger in snow, and they eat tires like crazy.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What about a D60 rear?

I did a *little* research on them awhile back, but no one could give me a number on weight as I recall.

That added bit of strength, without high cost, or the "massive" weight of the 14FF, would be nice for a "mainly" DD rig.

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Why spend the extra money on a Dana 60 when you could just stick with what you've got. If you're not going to wheel it hard a 12bolt will hold up fine to 35's I imagine. However, if you do see some heavier duty wheeling in the future I'd opt for the 14b FF for the cheap/durable/worry free route.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Why spend the extra money on a Dana 60 when you could just stick with what you've got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a stock 10 or 12 bolt has always been iffy with big tires and even moderate wheeling, and a 14FF is too damn heavy for a truck that won't get wheeled hard. (not saying you can't wheel a 10 or 12 bolt, just that it's not reliable like a 14FF)

There is a middle ground for truck owners, between show rig and hard core wheeler, and a light, strong, dependable axle is what you need. If a D60 is lighter than a 14FF, (lighter enough to make it worthwhile to deal with) stronger than a 12 bolt, and not much more expensive/hassle than swapping in a 14 bolt (which is pretty painless I know) why not use it?

Some of us like getting 10-13 MPG. In the *city*. Less weight means easier movement...brick-like aerodynamics don't help, but when your truck is around 5000lbs (like mine) you see a big difference in town with a smaller engine compared to someone with a 6000lb+ rig.

No reason to lug around extra/wasted weight if you don't *have* to.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd stick with the 12 because you don't need the 14B on a DD rig that rarely sees dirt it's just more weight to deal with. If in the future you decide to wheel, then slap in a 14...

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well don't listen to me, I've never done it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What about a D60 rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on running a 3/4 ton Dana 60 rear axle in my 79 K10 for a daily driver. Came from the factory with 1.25" 30 spline axle shafts and a power loc limited slip. I believe it is a 9.5" ring gear and has much better ground clearance than the 14FF. I can get a weight when I pull my axle from the donor truck (maybe this weekend if I can get everything arranged).

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know I'm probably going to be banished for saying this, but I see it as your only option. Ford 9". It's proven strong, light, and you won't lose the tire if the shaft breaks. Plus a dropout 3rd member can't be too bad either. I'll go find me another website now.

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll go find me another website now.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Na, I think you're right. They're probably cheap cause there is lots of them and you can build a complete 9" using aftermarket parts.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there are no limited slips for a 14boltFF when it comes to 14B FF's you have 4 choices OPEN GOV-LOCK DETROIT OR WELD. I would say the best choice is a detroit but I have a govlock in mine now and like it but I have heard there not to strong

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot air locker

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

14 bolt and locker....best mod ever!

[/ QUOTE ] CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My daily driver is going up 4 and on 35's with 3/4 ton stuff. Poser rig to but it will be fairly capable. The extra weight isn't gona do that much to kill the mileage. If your really after mileage i'd say stay away from the 35's all together, but what fun would that be.!!!! Throw the 14 bolt in there and forget about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif