Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt in an 87 3/4 ton van . . . G80 posi??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ratchetmaster, Jan 19, 2005.

1. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

I have a 14 bolt in an 87van (pretty sure has seven bolts visible below the gas tank). . . I have someone offering me $750 for the van.
    I noticed on the trim tag in the glove box that it has a G80 option. In my experience that means posi, right??

I am debating parting the van or selling it. What should I do??

What kind of value does the posi have in this rear? I am not sure what the gear ratio is but it is a 12 pass van with 8 lug axles and a 350/ turbo 400 trans.

Give me your oppinions . . . I need amo for my wife so that I can convence her to let me keep it and part it out.

:D

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I've heard that G80 = posi rear

3. timmay

timmay Registered Member

G80 = GovLock.

Keep the van. Lift it and throw a D60 under the front and put some Boggers on it!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

G80 is going to be some sort of traction device for the rear, whether gov-lock, "standard" limited slip, etc. Generic between all GM vehicles...cars, trucks, whatever, gov-lock, flat plate limited slip, cone type limited slip, etc., all G80.

Not sure what vans got, but full size and S10's all got gov-locks, no reason a van wouldn't I imagine.

Easy enough to test, if the gov-lock is working right, slowly spinning one wheel, the other wheel should be able to be held in place. If there is actual force acting on the other wheel, it's some type of limited slip.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

link won't work?

7. ratchetmaster

Link doesn't work.

So it is some kind of traction device.

So If I keep the van and part it out, (keeping it and NOT parting it out is out of the question . . . I have 16 cars and the wife has been very understanding to this point, but the van HAS to GO one way or the other)
    does the carrier have value?? I can use the 350 engine in another project, the trans has some value, scrap is paying decent right now . . .

so does the rear have enough value to make it worth parting??? Is the posi worth a couple of hundred, $500? more? less? Are these common or rare???
    Thanks

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

at least keep the 350 and tranny if they run good, damn it is fuel injected one even, someoen will want that tbi 350 for sure

theres alot of goodies on that van if you stop and think about it

if you need ot reduce vehicles then get rid of non chevy trucks

good luck

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There's probably nothing special about the axle that makes it worth that much. The rest of the drivetrain sounds good so it sounds like the van is worth parting out. But, I got a 14 bolt with 16 thousand miles on it that was good to roll with a Detroit in it for $300. You might get a little extra value because it's the van width which supposedly matches the front axle on chevy's, but not a whole lot.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'd pull all the good parts off it and scrap the rest. You'll prolly be able to get more than $750 out of it in parts. I'd be money the axle has 3.73 gears in them. The axle is worht a few bones more because it's van width. It will match the width of a front axle and eliminates the need for wheel spacers if you want to even up the stance.

11. ratchetmaster

R72K5

hey, tell me what parts you think I should salvage from the van . . . I would hate to scrap stuff that is useful

Thanks