Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt in an '88 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blazer_66, Feb 3, 2005.

1. k5blazer_66

k5blazer_66 Newbie

I was wondering if a 14 bolt rear end would fit in my K5 without having to shorten the driveshaft. Also will a 1 ton 14ff bolt onto the stock driveshaft U-Joints? I have access to both a 78 3/4 ton 14 bolt and an 86? 14ff 1 ton. I would rather use the 1 ton because it is only $25 Thanks.

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

With no lift, i doubt it will fit. If you have about 6" or so, you could probably get away with w/o shortening the shaft. Look at how muhc slip you have before it goes too far into the t-case.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Measure the centerline of the axle tube to the center of the pinion yoke. The put that against the centerline - pinion yoke of a 14boltFF. Then you will know the difference.

A 14BFF is 12.5 IIRC.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The 3/4 ton 14ff will bolt directly in, the 1-ton version will have to have the spring perches moved and I believe the shock mounts. If you don't mind doing these things then get the 1-ton. They are the same axle though if they are the FF version.

Your stock driveshaft will bolt up if it is behind an SM465 four speed from the mid 80's.

I am glad you asked these questions since they never come up:grin: