Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Mar 10, 2002.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is my first time. So please bare with me. If there is anything that I have not filled out, or done properly please let me know. I've been trying for a long time to figure out how to post a question. So here it goes, I have a 88 chevy full size blazer. I'm planing on installing a 14 bolt full float rear end from a 1 ton, so I know I have to move the perches, any ideas on how to remove the curent perches, and were to get new ones from.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you get a 14ff from a 3/4 ton you do not need to move spring perches. The 1 ton 14ff's are a direct bolt in for the 69-72 blazers and the 3/4 ton are a direct bolt in for the 73-91 blazers. You may need to play with shocks mounts depending on what your pinion angle needs to be. You will also need a conversion joint for the rear. I believe everyone has said it is a napa #447

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you do end up having to move them... just cut them off and have the welded back on in the right spot... what I will be doing someday with the 14b sf I have...

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup you will have the move the perches if it is a one tone rear. You can make your own perches like this http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/perch

Also unless you have a nice plazma cutter or have no lief and a while to cut them off with a sawzall you should hack them off with a die grinder pretty quick and pick up some new ones. A lot of the street rods guys and I have used some dodge perches. They are a little wider then the original perches, but they will work mint. Your local Dodge dealer has them in stock. I have the part number somewhere in the garage. If you need it I can track it down for ya.

5. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

So what's the difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1ton 14 bolt? Are the axle splines different, yoke etc... I have a 1ton 14 bolt sitting on my garage floor out of a 75 GMC pick-up waiting to go in. I measured the distance between the perches and could sware the are equal to that of my 88 blazer. Are they off by a lot? Maybe my measurement looked close?!

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only difference between the two are the spacing of the perches. If memory serves me right, spacing on the 3/4 ton and blazer are 42 1/2" centers on the perches. I don't know exactly what the 1 ton is but it is narrower. I think it is around 40 1/2"