Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt is finally installed with issues...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bottomfeeder, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

14 boltff is installed on the Blazer. It has a detriot locker and 4.56 gears. Got a Lock rite Locker and 4.56 gears installed up front in the Dana44. Come to find out, it's not a Dana44, it's a 10bolt. 1977 Blazer should be a d44 right? Probably swapped it out at some point. Anyway, angle on the drive shaft is too sharp. Drive shaft is also too short. I am lowering the transfer case to help correct this. Front drivers side spindle had a seized bearing. Not much damage was able to fix. Same drivers side Warn hub won't engage. I now need some hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully I will be able to drive this thing today. I am now officially broke!! Anbody have any hubs they want to sell for cheap?

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you need a hub to run for a little while I have my second spare hub you can borrow. It is a Warn Premium. It is just sitting in my toolbox at my house. If you need to borrow it till you can get some $ for a set of hubs let me know.

Glad to hear your swap is done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You can always add a shim in your leaf spring pack to help rotate the pinion upward also.

Harley

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lowering the transfer case is a bad idea. Leave it alone.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Lowering the transfer case is a bad idea

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do you say this?

5. bottomfeeder

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's too late for that. Why is it a bad idea?

What hubs should I get for this front end? Anybody have any does or don'ts?

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I lowered mine 2 yrs ago, no issues that I know of.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's too late for that. Why is it a bad idea?

What hubs should I get for this front end? Anybody have any does or don'ts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. If you lower the t-case you rotate the cv upwards causing more bind. However at the same time you are lowering amount of angle the drive shaft has to operate at. You should check for bind at the cv's before using 4wd, if you find any you can grind the stops built into the cv and that will allow you a little more angularity.

8. Hossbaby50

Warn Premiums. That is what I run and I love them. Mile Markers are good too. They have the same warranty Warn does, you break them we replace them.

Harley

9. bottomfeeder

[ QUOTE ]
    you break them we replace them

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you work at an establishment where I can aquire some of these items at a reasonalble price? If not, then where should I obtain me some new hubs?

Thanx

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Hossbaby50

No, I don't. You might try Desert Rat. That is where I got mine. They had the cheapest price in town when I bought mine.

Harley

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have had my t-case stock, lowered, stock, then lowered again (as lift type/travel) progressed . No problems yet. I did manage to rip a bolt through the frame last time out but that is an issue with the leverage from the spacers I have since addressed.

As for hubs, warns. Most Desert Dorks will honor the warranty no matter what (even though it is stated strait out that rust and/or axle failure voids the warranty). You are lucky eric's desert rat in mesa is a pretty reputable place from everthing I have heard. The ones up hear in phoenix are a big friggin' joke. I refuse to do business with them any more (but that story will be saved for the camp fire).

12. bottomfeeder

What about the place on Washington in Phoenix? Anybody have anything good to dsay about them?

13. Hossbaby50

4 Wheelers Supply is a good shop but they are proud of there stuff. I called them and they wanted $15-20 more then Desert Ratfor the same set of Warn Premiums.

You can always tell them (4 wheeler supply) you are a member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club and get 10% off. They usually dont check, as long as you mention the name they give you 10% off.

Harley

14. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

so does that mean that yer loc-rite didnt work because it was for a D44 and not a 10bolt??
    cuz if so I have a new loc-rite for a 10bolt I'd trade straight up for a D44 loc-rite /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bottomfeeder

[ QUOTE ]
    so does that mean that yer loc-rite didnt work because it was for a D44 and not a 10bolt??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I got the right locker. We just thought it was a D44. The right locker was purchased after this fact was discovered. Everything works pretty good except the driverside hub.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif