Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt is torqueing up when put in gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Dec 21, 2005.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

When I put my truck in gear, or accelerate from a stop, the axle is torqueing up and then clunking back down. I think it is the whole axle, maybe just the pinion, u bolts are tight, all the nuts are tight... Think the pinion bearings are toasted? My truck is retired for the winter, so I can take it apart once I have time, but curious of whats going on. The pinion angle is pretty high, maybe starved the bearings?

thanks

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a bad case of axle wrap.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

mine did a weird oise a few times before in because clear what killed it,

pull the cover, check for metal from the bearings and see if the carrier bolts have backed off, after talking about mine doing it I have heard about it happening to plenty of people

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

just started doing it on the way home from beating on it over the weekend, looks pretty nasty though when it does it and sounds awful too. I cant imagine the ujoint or something else in there will last too much longer as is

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pull the driveshaft and lube the slip splines really well. Put it back in and see if the clunk is gone. A binding slip joint is the most common cause of the clunk. (The pinion angle will always change when power is applied. You don't usually notice it, but if the driveshaft is binding then you'll hear and feel it!)

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I second the axle wrap. Mine used to wrap alot before I made a traction bar.

DSC00580.JPG

DSC00577.JPG

DSC00579.JPG

7. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I'll lube the shaft:D , and see if that helps, if it is axle wrap, why would it just start all of the sudden, I would think it would have been there from the begining?

Maybe i can get a video of it, i"ll try tonight...

thx

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

check your leaf springs. my 82 C10 had something similar going on, ended up that the upper part of the spring eye was missing. the bolt and the bushing were still there, and good, just the leaf spring was just sitting under them. raised the truck up on a lift and when the suspension dropped out, it literally dropped out. also my 86 C10 and my 73 C20 had broken springs at the center pin that caused some funny stuff for me.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same thing happened to me!

My 81 G10 van's rear spring eye on the front of the drivers spring side did exactly that too!:eek1: ..one day I pick it up to change a tire, on my friends lift,and I see the leaf spring lower itself away from the bolt and bushing!..snapped the eye off about halfway around!..:eek: ..

I had been hearing a loud thud and clunking sound during a 2500 mile trip to TN a few months before,and I put in a new tranny mount when I saw the old one was oil soaked and separated--thought that cured it,but once in a while I'd still year that noise--and it seemed to wander around a lot,despite having a nice tight front end and steering parts!..now I saw why!:doah: ..

I was about broke as usual,couldn't afford even a used junkyard spring for it!..so I wrapped a peice of 3/16" thick flat stock the same width of the spring around the eye,and about 3" past it,and clamped it in place with heavy 1/2" square U bolts as a "temporary fix"..that was in 1999..:whistle: ..

I took it off the road in Dec. 2003,and it still needs to be fixed right..:tongue1: ..