Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt! Let's do the 14 Bolt...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

After destroying the gears in my 10 bolt, I made the decision to go 14. Don't ask me why, I'm just a little crazy like that. I secured the 14bff that I payed jjlaugner for a year or so ago, and commenced the workout. I thought I would just throw some pictures up, 'cause I feel like bragging about it. :crazy:

[​IMG]

More of the swap HERE

Thanks to jjlaugner for letting me get the axle at a moment's notice, and to Divorced, for buying my old rims so that I can afford it, and supplying me with a gearset for the front. And, to both of them for the wealth of knowledge they have shared with me throughout this ordeal. :laugh:

2. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

convert that front to 8 lug and you're good to go :D nice truck :wink1:

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Truck looks like its a poster child for NASCAR with that paint sceme. Its actually different but looks good. :waytogo:

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

your truck is much nicer looking than mine. i'm super jealous.

nice axle swap.

the stuff in your truck prolly works too.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Nice looking truck...:waytogo:

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

cool truck man! unique paint for the type of truck, gotta love something different IMO

but yeah convert that front dude!

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It looks good with the wheels and tires on it!

everyone: I checked out his K5 this weekend and the paint job is awesome on it, and it's in real good condition too. I would look cool cruisin' in it... :D

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Cool deal! :waytogo:

9. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Nice looking truck :waytogo: Did you paint it your self ?

It does look like it could be used for a pace car at a 4x4 race :D

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Thank you for all the compliments.
    I considered it, but by the time that I found out that divorced (the only CK5er in my area) had a spare 8-lug, I had already bought the rims. :doah:

I spent a lot of time and money making it all work :crazy: Had to fix everything that the previous owner broke. ;)

I bought it with the paint already on it. In all honesty, it's a bit too much for my liking, but it does get it's fair share of stares from people. One of the POs was a drag car builder/racer. Apparently, this is painted to match the Camaro (or something similar) that he raced. It's also got a really nice engine in it because of this.

Oh, by the way, It's for Sale!

Also selling the Auburn posi that was in the 10-bolt

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

So, I was getting ready to fill up the axle last night, and I went to the local parts place. They were unable to tell me what the fluid capacity of the housing is. So, I got a couple of quick questions for anyone that might know:

1) What is the fluid capacity of a 14bff?
    2) Anyone know what the threads for the cover bolts are? I need to pick a couple up today, and I forgot to bring one of them with me
    3) Anyone know what the bolt size for the hub covers are? I have one that doesn't match the others, and, dangit, I just want it to look good! :crazy:

12. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

That is a very nice paint job, I almost wouldnt want to wheel it, almost. Boy I bet that is one heck of a tree magnit. :D

later
    jmd

13. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

If there were actual trails around here, I would be worried. It's more of a mud machine, since that's all I have.

Well, and I use it to get people to stare at me. :laugh:

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I put about 1 gallon in mine.

I'm not sure of the bolt sizes. If you want your axle bolt to match the other 7 bolts you will need one from a 14 bolt axle, I think they are a special application.

I usually jack up the passenger side of the axle and fill the diff full of oil and re-install the plug. Then lower the passenger side and jack up the driver side and wait about 5 minutes and lower it back down. Re-check the oil and top it off if necessary. By jacking it up from side to side you can be sure the oil fills the hubs. It may be overkill, but I'm picky and paranoid about those things.

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Nice, I think it looks better with steel white spoke btw. Say in your first muddin video, what is that song? awesome videos too, gave me a fishin idea :laugh:

16. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

That would be "Beer 30" performed by The Reverend Horton Heat. Happens to be one of my favorite artists. His music seems to go well with mudding and four wheel drives. :D

And, I have to admit, the white spokes are growing on me.

Guess I should buy in bulk, then, eh?
    Good advice on the filling procedure. I'll give that a shot.

17. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

so 9" lift and 35s... looks good... what gears are you running? what kind of suspension?
    nice paint scheme btw. i love different looking vehicles!

18. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It's a shackle flip in the rear, giving me 6" of suspension. It was made by a guy on here who calls himself "backyardbuilt". The fronts are a set of used Ranchos that I got for a song. Nothing really special about it. Did the usual modifications to the driveline to make it work (lowered t-case, angle shims on the axle).

The rest of the lift is a 3" body lift that the PO put on, but I decided to keep because I like the extra clearance when I am working on stuff.

Currently, I've got 3.73s in the back, that came with the axle. The front has some 3.42s that I am going to be swapping for 3.73s this weekend (thanks again, divorced!)

It should have a little more get-up-and-go than it did before the swap, I would think. I haven't got it moving, just yet, to know.

19. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Got it all finished today, and took it for a test drive. The low-speed driveline vibration went away, the spedometer is now almost correct, and the parking brake finally works!
    Pictures here:
    http://k5.lusermanagement.com/14bff/