Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt locker issues -

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drivelineman, Sep 16, 2002.

1. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

This weekend we went thru a pretty tough climb 20 foot rock stairs like 2-3 steps- and near the top my buddies 14 bolt started skipping like the teeth were coming off the axle - of the locker was skipping only under hard bouncing and gettin it though- made it back without a hitch but we were all wondering - anyone have this kind of experience? Hell my 35 spline 60 full spool worked bitchen - pi'cs are up on my site if ya want to go look- Jess /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What kind of locker is it? I've seen the factory one let go number of times.

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

My detroit has done this twice. The first time it was low on gear oil, and the second my self-adjusters had froze up and were allowing the tires to basically free spool.

4. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

detriot 2 days old-

5. Sandman

Dont know. Hopefully it was something dumb and easy to fix. I've beaton mine to death for 2 years now with no problems.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that he took out the thrust washers that used to be in the carrier for the spider gears. Also make sure that he left the shipping/retainer bolt in place while installing the locker. If he took the locker apart before installing it, he may not have put it back together right. There's a cammed ring in the center of the locker that must be aligned the correct way in relation to the side drivers. If it's installed wrong then the locker won't work right.

7. Sandman

I left those stupid washers in on my first Detroit. It stayed locked up all the time.