Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt locker ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by i8yrsuv, Apr 23, 2005.

1. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Hi, in my quest to find a cheap street locker for my blazer ,I have found a 14 bolt rear end at the junk yard out of a 77 camperspecial with the factory code, "G 80 locking differential ". It has a 4 pins in the closed carrier. Is it an "Detroit locker "??? If not what is it ???Can it be rebuilt ?? How does the 'wms' compare ??The other rear end that I currently own is out of a 88 'won-ton' .Are the parts interchangable from those years .A big concern is brakes ,but probally could be made better with rear disks if its not 'won-ton' stuff allready . I know a detroit locker is the ticket for a bolt in ,but they are not too street friendly .
    What kinda of a detroit 60,70,80 would be good to put in the blazer with wms considered ?? I would like to get one of these so I could put a selector type of locker in the rear end at a later date when funds where funding .
    Cheers ,thanks in advance !!!!!! :usaflag: :1zhelp:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

G80 is a factory gov-loc

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just installed a Detroit in my 14bff. I ran it welded for 3 years prior. The Detroit is a non-issue in my opinion on the street. Once you are used to it hardly will even chirp a tire.

The only time it gives you any weird feelings is if you hit the gas hard in a corner and it will lock up. Or when you get on and off the gas slowly. It will give you a little shift in the rearend. It is not bad at all. Soft suspension makes it worse but if it is in a 1 ton then your suspension probably isn't to soft.

G-80 is a factory govlock code. They work ok offroad but are nothing to write home about.

If you are set on getting a Dana axle then I would do a D70 if you run big tires or haul alot of heavy stuff. A D70 is about the equivalent of a 14bff from Dana.

They do offer a selectable locker for a 14bff now supposedly. ARB has one out. It is expensive but if you consider the time/cost of finding, modifying, and doing possible gear and locker installs on a D70 then it may be worth it to get the ARB for the 14bff.

Harley

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

G80 code is a factory Gov-loc axle, but you said it has 4 pins which is an open carrier so someone swapped the axle or carrier at some point.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i love my g8o gov lock in my 2x4 dd crew cab. and i had one in my old mud truck with 38 under it. loved it in that one also. just need to know how it works and when to hit it and its o.k. but for all out detroit locker is the big ticket.