Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt, LSD or ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by One_Ton_k5, Jan 30, 2003.

1. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone, I am new to k5's and I just want to do it right. I am swapping in the standard 1 ton gear, D60F - 14FF, but I am looking for idea's on the rear differential.

I have a detroit locker in my other truck and I know that I do not want another one. I would prefer the ARB but as you know it doesn't exist.

So what's left? I live in Minnesota which means snow and ice and rain and mud. I was thinking limited slip front and rear but which one is the best.

I read some other posts here regarding the LSD's but I am looking for a specific recomendation based on the fact that I want maximun traction but good manners on the street.

Thanks, I am glad to be here among you all. ;-)

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ARB "says" they are coming out with one, but that has been supposed to happen for years not. As for LS, the only one I know of is the factory Gov-lock, which is like half locker, half LS. Detroit, spool, and weld are about the only real options for the 14bff. You might be able to get an LS threw Eaton which I believe was the OEM supplier of the govlock LS.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 14-bolt Gov-Lock isn't known to be a very strong or reliable. As you know, the Detroit or the Lock-rite is about the only thing going.

A Dana 60 rear might be a better option. There's two types of factory LSD's for these. Trac-Lok's are common and more reliable than any gov-lock. The Powr-Lok is even better - stronger and more grippy - but harder to come by. More ground clearance with a Dana 60 as well.

4. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

You may be right about the D60 rear, I actually already have one too which makes the decision that much easier.

I was thinking about that 1.5" axle conversion by "hogging out" the spindles to clear the bigger axles and then put an ARB, 4.88, 35 spline combo in there.

I know there is an EATON LSD for the 14 bolt I saw them on ebay for like 500 some dollars. ;-(

How about a Dana 70? Do many people run those in k5's? That would be ideal i guess with the 14 bolt beef and the Dana options....

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Unless you have the money to blow, I'd take a 2-step approach first. Get the 4.88's in there with whatever LSD you can find on the stock 30-spline axles. Then go for the 35-spline and ARB later.

A Dana 70 doesn't get much fan-fare... probably due to the cheapness of the 14FF (at par on strength), and since most of them - usually from a Dodge - only have 32-spline axles anyways. Then you might as well have a D60 with 35-spline shafts and better ground clearance.

There are OEM 35-spline shafts to upgrade the Dodge D70. (PM mj about these). If you can find an SRW Ford D70 from an older (pre 86) F250/350 it will have the 35-spline shafts also. An LSD can be hard to find for the D70 though.